The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Near and Middle Eastern Newts (Neurergus) Arguably the most beautiful newts in the world, this Asian genus is highly desired by many hobbyists.

Old 6th December 2009   #1
GeoNewt

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 15
Comments: 1
Rep: GeoNewt has shown reliable knowledgeGeoNewt has shown reliable knowledge
Default Neurergus Personalities

Hi all.

I currently keep a CB09 pair of N. kaiseri and a CB08 pair of N. strauchii strauchii. I have only had the kaiseri for a few weeks, and have never seen them out from their hide. This surprised me, because when I visit the newts in the evenings the strauchii are always out, and will eat worms from my hand. I was wondering how other people have found the personalities of their Neurergus - do kaiseri tend to be more shy, or are the personalities similar? Also, am I just being to demanding of them seeing as they have not been with me long?

George

GeoNewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2009   #2
Mark
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 898
Comments: 26
Rep: Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11
Default Re: Neurergus Personalities

Kaiseri are extremely shy. If kept terrestrially the best you'll get is a brief glimpse of them after dark. It's ironic that one of the most in-demand species is actually a lousy captive. During the aquatic phase they become much bolder.

Strauchii are far more personable in my experience. I keep mine 100% aquatic. As juveniles they were quite cautious but now as adults they'll practically charge out of their hides in the hope of food. By far my favourite.

Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2009   #3
monkeyfrogman28

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 3
Rep: monkeyfrogman28 is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with Mark 100% Keep the aquatic and they will become bold

monkeyfrogman28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2009   #4
Kenny
(KennyDB)

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: KennyDB has started on the right path

Just put them aquatic, you'll see the difference in a couple days

KennyDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2009   #5
Crystal
(kenya_1977)

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: kenya_1977 has shown reliable knowledgekenya_1977 has shown reliable knowledge

Yeah, I got mine a couple weeks ago from Craig and set them up in an aquatic set up. I see them all the time! Craig actually keeps his aquatic all year.

kenya_1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2009   #6
GeoNewt

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 15
Comments: 1
Rep: GeoNewt has shown reliable knowledgeGeoNewt has shown reliable knowledge

Thanks for the replies.

I know that everyone has their own opinions on how to raise Neurergus, but as my eventual goal is to breed both species do you think that housing them in a more natural way (aquatic in spring, terrestrial for the rest of the year) would make them more likely to breed than if they are aquatic all year round? Alternatively, would I be better off putting them in a larger tank with decent land and water areas so that they can choose? I don't know whether it makes any particular difference to housing, but my kaiseri are about 2.5" long, and the strauchii are just under 3" long.

Thanks again,
George.

GeoNewt is offline   Reply With Quote