The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Tiger Salamander & Axolotl (Ambystoma tigrinum, A. mavortium spp, etc.) The Tiger Salamanders and the Axolotl are so popular amongst hobbyists that they have been given their own topic. If you're particularly interested in the Axolotl, there is a large section of the forum devoted mainly to beginner Axolotl enthusiasts (not this topic).

Old 4th December 2011   #1
Neotenic_Jaymes
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 46
Comments: 2
Rep: Neotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Native Tiger Salamanders in petshop! Speak up!

I came a cross a group of 3 native Tigers Salamanders at a local moms and pops pet store. I asked the owner about the salamanders labelled as "Spotted Salamanders". We had a short conversation and then he decided they shouldn't be in the store and asked me to take them. They were given to the store by someone who collected them in Michigan and kept them as pets.

Now they are taken out of an aquatic tank and have better care. I didn't really want to take the Tiger Salamanders. I just wanted to Suggest better housing and how they shouldn't be in the store. After leaving with the 3 Tiger Salamanders, I felt glad. I'm glad I spoke up for the Salamanders. Because I did spoke up, next time someone drops by the store with salamanders that are native he'll reject them.

Here are some pics, before and after. These tigers are on the thin side and are morphs from this year. They are 7 inches and still have the lumps where gills use to be. Now I have 3 new Tiger Salamanders for free, which makes it even better.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0315.jpg
Views:	6556
Size:	157.7 KB
ID:	20169   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0318.jpg
Views:	780
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	20170   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0321.jpg
Views:	2831
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	20171  

Old 4th December 2011   #2
ethan
(ethan)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: ethan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Native Tiger Salamanders in petshop! Speak up!

Great salamanders!!!! You are sooooooooo lucky!

ethan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2011   #3
Jess
(JessKB)

Nationality:
Rep: JessKB is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgJessKB is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgJessKB is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgJessKB is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgJessKB is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgJessKB is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Jaymes gave me one of these guys right after he got them and he's doing great. Fattening up and already growing! Glad you saved these guys Jaymes, otherwise you know they'd be dying in some kid's goldfish tank by now!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AT 1.jpg
Views:	2128
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	20785   Click image for larger version

Name:	At2.jpg
Views:	674
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	20786   Click image for larger version

Name:	AT3.jpg
Views:	561
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	20787  

JessKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2011   #4
Kaiseric
(Linus)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 3
Rep: Linus is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgLinus is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgLinus is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgLinus is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgLinus is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgLinus is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Nice setup Jess

Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2012   #5
Jess
(JessKB)

Nationality:
Rep: JessKB is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgJessKB is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgJessKB is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgJessKB is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgJessKB is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgJessKB is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Thanks Linus. It goes to show what some leaf litter can do for an enclosure.

JessKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2012   #6
king

Nationality:
Rep: king is an unknown quantity at this point

I <3 my Oak leaves LOL

king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2012   #7
Chad Byrnes
(potogold71)

Nationality:
Comments: 2
Rep: potogold71 has started on the right path

Great save bro!

potogold71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2012   #8
Kris
(ba98mgt)

Nationality:
Rep: ba98mgt is an unknown quantity at this point

Soooo lucky. I live about 30 mins south of Detroit. I've been calling places up to 2 hours away for the past year trying to find Tigers. I had a few, years ago and have been struggling to find more.

Recently, a pet store an hour south of me was able to order them. I'm finding out the hard way, pet shops suck. I ordered 2, 1 arrived dead, and I took the other. When I got home, I noticed it looks as if the spine is deformed. Needless to say, they're ordering me more and hopefully they'll let me keep this one to care for.

Sorry for the long post.

Oh, and hello, I'm Kris :-)

ba98mgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2012   #9
igor

Nationality:
Rep: igor has started on the right path

So glad to hear the happy ending. It's truly scary to think of what might have happened to these beautiful sals in the wrong hands.

igor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2012   #10
Kaysie
(Kaysie)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 45
Comments: 62
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11

As far as I remember, it is illegal to sell native MI species commercially anyway.

Kaysie is offline   Reply With Quote