Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Neotenic Frogs?

JM29

Reaction score
Hi,
There are no known really neotenic frogs.
Some cases of long last Xenopus ta^poles have been reported but none have been able to breed.
http://jeb.biologists.org/content/jexbio/207/12/2133.full.pdf
Nevertheless, the whole family Pipidae (Pipa, Xenopus, Hymenochaerus) is considered as pedomorphic (no eyelids, lateral line present) : they undergo un uncomplete metamorphosis.

Anyway, notice most male anurans need their fore limbs to be able to breed.

I hope I've answered your questions.

FrogEyes

Reaction score
The nature of frog reproductive cycles makes it very difficult to be neotenic, however, several species of Sphaenorhynchus treefrogs reach sexual maturity while they still have tails and have not completed metamorphosis. In theory, a frog could reach maturity and never lose the tail, which would make for an interesting 'new' sort of creature.

TheAmphibianGuy

Reaction score
Cool thanks I will possibly do an experiment to see what the conditions make a frog stay with larval characteristics for the longest amount of time then try to see if I can improve those conditions to make them retain the tail

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!