Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Wood frogs

maxygus

Reaction score
Has anyone successfully kept wood frogs before? If so could you offer me some tips on your experience please? There’s very limited captive care instructions offered online.

DartFrog180

Reaction score
Hi Maxygus.
I worked with this species in graduate school and kept a few individuals. Though that was a lab situation, wood frogs struck me as far less nervous and more hearty (more toad-like) than some other small ranids.

One or two will do well in a 10g aquarium for a short period of time, fed crickets, mealworms, Zoophobas worms, and smallish earthworms. I used moist but not wet coco fiber bedding back then with no water bowl necessary, but if I were to do it over again I would use a larger (minimum 20g) aquariumABG mix and scatter/make a pile of dried oak leaves. Keep them at cool room temps (<73 degrees F/23 degrees C).

maxygus

Reaction score
Hi Maxygus.
I worked with this species in graduate school and kept a few individuals. Though that was a lab situation, wood frogs struck me as far less nervous and more hearty (more toad-like) than some other small ranids.

One or two will do well in a 10g aquarium for a short period of time, fed crickets, mealworms, Zoophobas worms, and smallish earthworms. I used moist but not wet coco fiber bedding back then with no water bowl necessary, but if I were to do it over again I would use a larger (minimum 20g) aquariumABG mix and scatter/make a pile of dried oak leaves. Keep them at cool room temps (<73 degrees F/23 degrees C).

So keep them primarily terrestrial?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!