Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Still red and VERY tiny.

accidentalfan

Reaction score
It has been quite a while since I posted, so I started a new thread. Sorry. Here's the story.
All three of my adults got Fungus after I received 4 new Juvies in the mail. I thought I had them quaranteened, but apparrently failed.
One Juvie died 4 days after I got him, and somehow the adults got it.
I have been struggling ever since.
First I started with 1 Salt bath a day, then tried the Nitrofura-G treatment as it is described on the health page. When I looked at them twelve hours later their gills where white! Not just white, as in no blood moving through them, but BURNED! I didn't know at the time what this meant, so I asked all you smart folks, you said remove them immediately and I did.
That helped, and now My Precious (my beautiful gold godess) is recovering nicely. It may have burned her gills, but it killed the fungus too. Same for Luna. (slower at regenerating his gills though)
The only one still having issues is George the 2nd. I haven't seen fungus for 2 days now, but he has only eaten about 3-4 times at 1/4 worm or single cricket each time since being sick. It's been a month!
If anyone has any idea what I can do to help him.........I've almost given up hope.
Thanks.

kapo

Reaction score
Is George separate from the others or back in the tank?

When was the last time he actually ate?

accidentalfan

Reaction score
George was in with the rest about a week ago. ( They all had the same illness ) Then, when the others were healing and he was lagging behind, I put him in a bucket.
He hasn't eaten in...probably about 6 days or so this time. When he did eat it was only a piece of worm about 1in long. We had to repeatedly wiggle it in his face and set it on his nose. Now he, I don't know how to put it, but he seems to get mad when I put a worm by his face. If you walked up on a dead skunk, I would call that the same reaction.
Today he is floating on top of the bucket. I have about a gallon and a half in there. I change everyones water faithfully every day. I don't understand why he isn't improving like the others.
Any suggestions?

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I'm sorry to hear that, Becky. Sometimes even doing everything you can just isn't enough. It's a hard thing to lose a pet, but you did everything you could for him.

kapo

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about George, Becky.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!