Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Mix C. Orientalis with C. Cyanurus

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
Would it be best for me to put male C. orientalis with female C. cyanurus, vice versa, or does it even matter?

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't think it's that important. Just don't distribute any offspring, in case they are fertile.

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
I don't think it's that important. Just don't distribute any offspring, in case they are fertile.

I have to get them to breed first.;) I'll state it now that if by some chance they do happen to breed that the offspring will stay in my possesion, fertile or not.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Very good to hear...
About the combination, surprisingly it may make a difference. Ideally you would have to keep both (male orientalis with female cyanurus and viceversa).

TLaw

Reaction score
Here's a photo of one of the babies. I can also post clearer photos of the adults, if anyone wants them.

Wow. How big are they? Similar to C.o or C.p? I guess if Ligers are possible, then so can these be.

paul_b

Reaction score
AW: Re: Mix C. Orientalis with C. Cyanurus

Hi Jennewt!
Here's a photo of one of the babies. I can also post clearer photos of the adults, if anyone wants them.

I am shocked!
Never thought that this is possible - is it sure, that they are C.o/C.p?
Yes, please send photos of the adults!

The species reminds me to Pingia granulosa!

Paul

Joost

Reaction score
well, i knew allready, that this was possible. Also mixes with other Cynops species. Somehow I'm affraid mixes will be spread out in our hobby. I'm this far, I'd rather keep wc animals above cb. If you allready know that some species will interbreed, who are useless, why take the risk? I would say: please don't

regards Joost

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I'm this far, I'd rather keep wc animals above cb.

regards Joost

Sorry, could you please explain that a bit further, i think i missed your point.
I think most of us agree that hybrids are bad for the species involved (i know i do), and would hate to see the hobby being contaminated with hybrids. It´s a problem that concerns me deeply, as i fear that our hobby will sooner rather than later follow the dreadful paths of the snake hobby.

Joost

Reaction score
what I mean, from wc animals (i have some species with locality data) you can be sure you have pure animals. For example: C. e. ensicauda will interbreed with popei. When you interbreed this hybrids with pure animals, soon you can't see anymore what species they belong to. Also because a lot of people don't really know the difference between this species

vistajpdf

Reaction score
That's another possibility. Interesting experiment for someone to try though. Anyone got any CB orientalis?

Yes, I have about 60 as we spoke of earlier, but haven't looked into shipping internationally or when I should ship them. They range from newly morphed 2 weeks ago to the first who morphed in June.

I'm not sure how I feel about this science experiment, though, I admit it's interesting. I've seen the Liger and I believe that while the first one was allegedly conceived the old-fashioned way, it wouldn't happen in the wild.

Dana

Joost

Reaction score
Well Azhael, I mean, with wc animals you're sure you've got pure animals. For example: C. e. ensicauda and popei will also interbreed. When the hybrids breed with pure animals, you can't see what species they belong to. Also because a lot of people don't know the differences between those. I have luckely both species wc, with locality data

Lusiwarrior

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
From what I could observe the two species in question, since I keep both (CO x CP), although their similarities are quite visible, their behavior is different. Especially in time to be fed. The cyanurus such loving creatures, sometimes seen wolves. I think it's a risk to join the two species. If this is done, the minimum that is observed in the feeding time, because the orientalis certainly going to eat less.
Already on the experience itself which could have interesting!? I think only the expectation of seeing how they go out the morfhs, nothing more! In nature, hybrids, where they reproduce, their genes end up being treated by only one species. However, certain species, and now I speak not only of newts, improve certain characteristics, such as singing birds, which put the benefits that may result from such experience? I wasted no time with this, but if you take this experience to aa front, good luck, because this is a lottery! Just an opinion! :angel:

paul_b

Reaction score

After all I saw photos of that "orientalis"- female, I think it realy is a pyrrhogaster!

So I repeat:
All genetical analyses suggest, that hybridisation of orientalis (also orphicus and fudingensis) and pyrrhogaster (also ensicauda) should not be possible!

It seems unlikely with:
- Cynops cyanurus (also woltersforffi and chenggongensis) with Cynops orientalis (also orphicus and fudingensis)
- Cynops pyrrhogaster with Cynops ensicauda

Conceivable within species groups:
- Cynops orientalis, orphicus and fudingensis
- Cynops cyanurus, woltersforffi and chenggongensis

BUT - please notice: "This are living creatures" - newts can not cry, so please don't make experiments with them!
That is unscientific!

Paul

paul_b

Reaction score

Hi Jen,
.... I am working with a scientist who is interested in how this crossbreeding is possible at the genetic level. He has DNA samples from both adults and a hybrid offspring....

any new information to this question?

Paul

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Re: AW: Re: Mix C. Orientalis with C. Cyanurus

Hi Jen,

any new information to this question?

Paul
No. The Cynops project is not the top priority at this laboratory. I'd be happy to put you in touch with them if you can persuade them that it should be;)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!