Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Tank size for Chinese FBN's

mattramsland

Reaction score
I have adopted 5 chinese fire belly newts. They were given to me in a small plastic container, about 1 gallon perhaps. I know they need a larger tank, but how large? I will purchase a glass aquarium with a screen lid, filter, etc. and live plants. So...what's the smallest size tank they will do well in?

webzdebs

Reaction score
the minimum for each CFBN should be 5 gallons, but this is a minimum and the bigger tank you can give them the better :)

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
A 20 gallon should be enough. This is a small species with no territorial or agressive behaviour.
Avoid using a filter, they like their water completely still. LOTS of plants are in order..really...LOTS.

dipsydoodle

Reaction score
I had 3 temporarily in a 7.5 gallon tank and they did fine (I think I'd recommend bigger though). Mine are now in a 16 gallon and are sooooooo much more active.

As Azhael said they aren't terretorial or aggressive as such. Mine frequently stand on each other and they don't seem to mind; most other animals wouldn't be impressed :(

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1