Small Axie Tank Size

Babydoles1207

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I'm sure there are heaps of these posts but i am still not clear...
I want to put Axolotl's of about 18 months in a tank but i really need to be space concious.
my current axie is really lost without a tank mate and i want to know if, until they get older, can i put two of them in a 2 foot tank?

I'm erring on the side of the larger the better, since it's what I've been told, but I'm curious to know what people make of your Axolotl being lost without a tank mate. I've read and been told they're not social creatures and don't NEED the company of another axolotl, and that thinking they do is probably just us projecting our feelings onto them — but in photos, you often see them sitting together. Or on top of each other. And in videos.

It could be excused as people being more inclined to take photos of them when they happen to be together because it's cute, and, again, projection— but I don't know. Can anyone enlighten me?

I wouldn't go any smaller than 20 gallons for two. Personally I would not be comfortable with less than 30 just for ease of keeping.

I don't know about the psychology. I'd like a second, but I also don't want to risk getting a female and having to cull eggs. They seem like the kind of animal that only meets to mate for the most part, but who knows.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back