Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New Red Eft Newts

S

stefanie

I brought these guys home two days ago. Even though they're not very active, I can't help but sit and watch them. I'm still trying to get one of them to eat. Meet Stegasaurus and Ecko.

74840.jpg

Just movin' in.

74841.jpg

Peek-a-boo

Roaming around:
74842.jpg

74843.jpg

D

dane

they look pretty good, the one in the third picture looks skinny though, good luck with them

I think they might like a more natural substrate like dirt when they are the eft form

(Message edited by dane_zu on December 17, 2006)

C

cameron

Cool little guys! I agree with a dirt substrate as well. Good luck.

S

stefanie

Thanks for the tip. I'll get on that today. Would you recommend dirt from the garden shop or see if the pet store sells dirt substrate?

P

peter

I use garden dirt in my red eft tank as long as there isn't fertilizers in it. It also is a great
food source if there are insects in it.I would suggest feeding flightless fruit flies or blackworms
to them.(Keep blackworms in a shallow dish with water in it.)

D

dane

you can get those bricks of coconut dirt stuff or whatever it is, its good stuff, just add water!

P

pin-pin

Hi Stefanie,

Those Red Efts look beautiful.

Here are some information about the species:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/species/Notophthalmus/N_viridescens.shtml

Here is some information about terrestrial set-ups:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/setups3.shtml

If you are having problems with food, here are some ideas for food:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/foods.shtml

You might want to provide a moisture gradient (one side wet, one side dry) with plenty of hiding places for them. Think back to the place where you found them and what the conditions were like there.

I hope you find much joy with them (they live quite a few years when cared for properly.)

S

stefanie

I've changed their habitat, and I think they're much happier. (Thanks for those who gave me the tip) They explored more in 20mins of their new home than 3 days on the gravel. And, my second one ate today!!! Both are eating =) The little skinny guy eats a lot! Maybe he was deprived at the pet store. Any feed back on their new home would be greatly appreciated. They have two "cave" type spots for hiding and under any of the loose moss.

74971.jpg

74972.jpg

S

stefanie

I received a PM from someone but accidentally deleted it and cannot retrieve it from the trash. Would the sender mind resending the message? Thanks.

G

gord

Looks good Stefanie. A much improved set up. Funny, I've never seen red efts for sale in Ontario.

They are lovely.

GE

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1