Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: HELP: My Axolotl Laid Eggs!

Lashy337

Reaction score
So I walked into my room to find that my female, Chestopher, has lain a bunch of eggs! I have never bred axolotls (or anything else) before, so I have no idea what I'm doing. What do I do? So far I've taken the two males into a separate tank so she can lay eggs in peace, and hopefully so less of the eggs get eaten. Aside from that, what do I do? My first thought was to make sure she's well fed, but she's not really interested in food at this point. Birthing aside, she seems very healthy, so I'm not super worried about her at this juncture-- but what on earth do I do with the eggs?

ianfletcher

Reaction score
First off, once the female is done layer her eggs, I would either remover her or the eggs from the tank. The eggs can easily be moved from tank to tank with no harm. If the eggs are on plants, this process is much easier. The eggs will begin to hatch about 23 days after the eggs were laid, depending on the temperature. Once the eggs hatch, you will not need to feed them for the first day or so, but after that they will need feed often. I personally feed mine baby brine shrimp (BBS), however, there is a multitude of foods that can be feed. If you do go the BBS rout, you will need to by eggs and hatch those in a small hatchery. (There are many videos on youtube on how to do this) The baby axolotls will grow very rapidly and, after a month or 2, you will be able to begin feeding them axolotl pellets.

If you would rather not take on the task of raising these axolotls, I would galdly take them off your hands ;):p

AxolotlChris

Reaction score
Sell them, give them away, or cull them by freezing them. For now they can stay in the tank if you want to give them away or sell them. You can transport the eggs in plastic fish carrying bags, or in plastic bottles.

Lashy337

Reaction score
I think I've decided I'm going to sell the eggs. Several people have recommended sending them in a water bottle, so that sounds like what I'll do. How much is a fair but decent price for eggs? The prices I've seen have generally been around $25 for thirty eggs, does that sound about right?

Wysper

Reaction score
Highly knowledgeable and experienced breeders sell their eggs for roughly $.50 each plus shipping.

Since this is your first experience and your axis first laying... I would offer the whole clutch for about $30 including shipping. You don't know if they are viable yet, or will even hatch or have problems.

You wouldn't want to get a bad reputation or anything for selling unviable eggs. Maybe wait a day or so and see if they start to develop before you sell or ship them to someone.

Just my thoughts. :)

Lashy337

Reaction score
So I just found out that the parents might be siblings.

Is it more ethical for me to cull the eggs before they can feel it, or to give these inbred babies a chance at life?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!