<font color="0000ff"><i>Cynops pyrrhogaster</i> in the wild - <b>Special!</b></font>

Here are some pics of the Sasayama-type ones:

20555.jpg

20556.jpg

20557.jpg

(the 2nd and 3rd pics are of the same individual)

20568.jpg

20569.jpg

(same individual)

20587.jpg

(Message edited by TJ on August 15, 2004)

I'll follow up later with pics of the very different southern ones, but here is a taster:

20590.jpg

The newt on the last picture looks a bit like Ensicauda...
Thank you very much for all those pictures that make me discover the real housing of those newts.
It seems that they all live in a clay substrate, don't they?
Do you know the water quality of those place?
Congratulations that's a great article!!!!

(Message edited by triton on August 15, 2004)

(Message edited by triton on August 15, 2004)

Thanks, Triton. After expecting to find C.p.sasayamae in the south as well as the north, I was thrilled to see the orange, relatively unmarked bellies on this southern variety, and they indeed reminded me a bit of some ensicauda I have seen. There are some other interesting differences between Group 1 and Group 2, as you'll see soon.

Most of the C.p habitats that I have seen have fine-granulated, clayish substrates, but I simply don't know enough to be able to draw any conclusions from this. I have so far found pyrrhogaster in ponds, irrigation ditches, rice paddies, pools fed by slow-flowing streams, etc.

No, I haven't tested the water quality in any of the places I have visited. I think testing for PH and such wouldn't tell me much. The biggest cause of extirpation of this relatively hardy species, with the possible exception of pond conversion and other types of development, seems to be the widespread use of agricultural pesticides in recent decades. I hear the same thing from farmers and other locals everywhere I go, how pyrrhogaster used to be present in large numbers before pesticide spraying (including the use of DDT for many years) became widespread and commonplace. The extent of loss of habitat for this species is really outrageous.

I neglected to mention that the habitat of the "northern variety" Hyogo pyrrhogaster shown in the above pics is a naturally populated, fish-free, artificial pond that is located on the slope of a forested hill in a remote, sparsely-populated area. I'll show some pics later of Sasayama pyrrhogaster (adults and larvae) in a different habitat in the same general area
wink.gif

20670.jpg

20671.jpg

I was meaning in water quality, PH, GH,KH (my english is not that good, so tell me when you don't understand
biggrin.gif
) just in the way to re-create those in captivity...
wink.gif

You make great job!
Give us some more!!!

Hi Triton. Your English is fine and your meaning came through. But what I meant to say was that in my understanding, C.pyrrhogaster is a hardy and opportunistic newt, so measuring the PH, GH, KH, etc. in one or even a few of its habitats may not necessarily yield clues as to ideal captive environment. Some of the places I have found them in don't seem to be worthy of recreating at all
smile6.gif
They are probably only there because they have no choice. This is certainly not a demanding newt in terms of water quality, relatively speaking. And the other thing I meant to say was that whether a natural habitat is suitable or not for this species is not so much an issue of water chemistry as it is the presence or absence of pesticides. And to some extent predatory fish too, though one can still find these newts in water bodies shared with fish, crayfish and crabs. Also, they are to be found in places where the morphs can safely disperse and grow to adulthood. But ah yes, I do understand you are approaching the matter from the captive care perspective
biggrin.gif
Perhaps next time I'll endeavor to check the water chemistry ;)

Now I understand!
rofl.gif
!
Thank you again Tim for what you did there!

Sure thing
wink.gif

Here is a "Group 1" adult C.p from a different part of the same general area in northern Hyogo, along with a couple larvae found by some local kids who joined in the hunt.

20844.jpg

20845.jpg

20846.jpg

20851.jpg

20852.jpg

(seemingly unperturbed by being taken captive, it munches on a live shrimp
biggrin.gif
)

Tim: All your pics seem to show these guys over "mud"....have you ever found them over sand?

Well, Joseph, they do tend to be found in muddy areas (and must swallow a lot of it while feeding!). Here is a pic of one in southern Hyogo that's on what I guess one could call sand. But it only took a slight stirring of the water to turn this pool so muddy that nothing could be seen -- and it remained that way even an hour afterward! I generally use my hands to catch them rather than a net in order to minimize such disturbances. I temporarily captured about 20 from this particular pool before it became impossible to see anything.

20882.jpg

20883.jpg

Well, thats something albeit impossible to duplicate in captivity eh? I bet C. o also lives over similar substrate.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back