Can red efts stay red efts?

R

richard

Well the title says it all. I was wondering if you can force an eft to stay terrestrial by keeping it in a fully terrestrial setup, with only a 1-2 cm deep water dish? Has anyone ever heard of an eft staying an eft?

I understand that some efts take a longer time than others to develop and morph into adults. Is this a genetic thing, or is it just an adaptation that is made when the sex organs have matured enough?

Hmmmmm, I'm not sure but I guess anything is possible. I think even if there was a little water (like in the dish) the eft will definatly turn into an adult.

Yep. I've heard it does take longer when they are given food shortages. The more food they get the faster they become adults. I guess it stunts their growth.

Interesting question. I don't have any definitive answers, but I have some ideas. I'm sure they won't stay red, but it may be possible to keep them terrestrial. If you look at the last photo on the CC caresheet, it's a fully adult male, but in a terrestrial phase:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/species/Notophthalmus/N_viridescens.shtml
These animals are probably fairly "adaptable" in terms of utilizing either water or land, whichever is better in a particular year. Of course there is the additional question of the genetics of a specific population - some may be programmed to be more or less aquatic as adults.

No, eventually, they will become adults. But if there is no available aquatic habitat, the adults will have an eft-like skin texture and color and they will look just like efts.

I would expect the newts to mature, slowly shifting color from red to green. If no water is available, they'll simply remain terrestrial.

well thanks everyone for your answers. I was wondering if I obtained an eft, I could keep it terrestrial all its life, and if it would stay red. The red color is vivid and I simply love it.

Jen,
Thats pretty cool how the male on the page is almost like a lighter version of the eft. Thanks again people.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back