The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

Old 30th July 2009   #1
MaDsci
(MaDsci)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: MaDsci has started on the right path
Default Snails and CFB

I just got some new plants the other day and found some pond snails and red ramshorn snails that tagged along for the ride. They're pretty small right now. Do you think the newts will eat the snails?

MaDsci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2009   #2
Critter Mom

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: Critter Mom has given consistently good advice and informationCritter Mom has given consistently good advice and informationCritter Mom has given consistently good advice and information
Default Re: Snails and CFB

That is what I have heard they will do. I have had the same situation and I have yet to see them actually interact with each other. I don't know if I would be there at the time if they did. I guess as far as what I am doing, I am observing them closely and taking a wait and see attitude. Right now, the pond snails are so small they don't pose a safety issue and there are so few of them it does not matter in my tank. Any pathogens that could have been spread, would have already done so, so I am not worried about that aspect either.

Let me know if you find out anything please, and I will do the same!

Old 31st July 2009   #3
Johnny O. Farnen
(SludgeMunkey)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 42
Comments: 9
Rep: SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11SludgeMunkey goes to 11

They may eat some of them, but if they get out of hand a bit of time crushing them with tongs and then feeding them to your newts works well.

Bets way to avoid snails is quarantining ANY new addition to your tanks for a while before adding them to the mix.

And those red ramshorns can be selectively bred! I had some years ago, and over a three year period of selective crushing, I allowed pink, yellow, white and green colors to form...it was quite fun!

SludgeMunkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2009   #4
Critter Mom

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: Critter Mom has given consistently good advice and informationCritter Mom has given consistently good advice and informationCritter Mom has given consistently good advice and information

Sounds nice. Do they become a noticeable size? I think I have at least one in my tank.

Last edited by Critter Mom; 2nd August 2009 at 03:47. Reason: added info...itchy "enter" finger!
Critter Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2009   #5
Jennewt
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 97
Comments: 46
Rep: Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critter Mom View Post
Sounds nice. Do they become a noticeable size? I think I have at least one in my tank.
It depends on the variety, but typical pond snails get up to about 1/2-inch maximum, and the common ramshorn type get slightly larger than this. But I find that very few of them ever reach this size in my tanks, for whatever reasons.

Tags
cfb, snails