Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Can i keep tetra fishes with axolotls?

silverskull

Reaction score
I have two axolotl in their juvenile stage.I know that i could put some guppies in as food and tank decoration.What about tetra fishes?Is it possible for tetras to be in the same tank as the axolotls?will the tetras harm the axolotl's gills?

silverskull

Reaction score
i am planning to keep the tetras as vacation food as they are much cheaper than guppies.

Abrahm

Reaction score
Tetras don't make a good choice. Their temperature requirements are quite different, being tropical. If you want cheaper fish look for feeder guppies. Feeder guppies are hardier, less expensive and extremely easy to bread as a food source.

In regards to vacation foods its better to just not feed your axolotl unless you are on an extremely long vacation (more than two weeks) or if the axolotl is a juvenile. Leaving fish in the tank can cause a lot of problems as the fish may die and foul the water which can easily lead to the death of your axolotl. If you need someone to feed your axolotl you should find someone you really trust to feed it.

silverskull

Reaction score
thank you very much.i hope they sell the feeder guppies here in australia.Thank you very much for the information.but will the axolotl be alright without feeding them for up to 2 weeks?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!