Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

2010 Caudata.org/AArk Grant: Preliminary Poll

Cast a vote for which application should receive the grant (READ ALL BEFORE VOTING!)

• Axolotl (Ambystoma mexicanum) habitat preference within conservation refuges

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • A Comparison of Amphibian Communities between Natural Ponds and Constructed Ponds of Multiple Age Cl

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • Uncovering Genetic Diversity of a Salamander Species Restricted to a Critically Threatened Habitat

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • The Southern Appalachian Ethno-habitat: Cryptobranchus alleganiensis and Cherokee Cultural Factors a

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rapid adaptation in an island population of Salamandra salamandra

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Recovery of Salamander species in Jiwani Coastal belt District Gwadar Balochistan

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Ecology, distribution and conservation of the Himalayan Salamander, Tylototriton verrucosus

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The applications for the 2010 Caudata.org/Amphibian Ark grant have been received. There are 7 grant applications. This year, we are allowing everyone to vote. Please note that we are looking for informed decisions, so please do not choose until you have read all the applications. The applications appear as attachments to this message (see below).

The Applications
Please read the applications before casting your vote.

1. Axolotl (Ambystoma mexicanum) habitat preference within conservation refuges
  2. A Comparison of Amphibian Communities between Natural Ponds and Constructed Ponds of Multiple Age Classes: Evaluating Conservation and Mitigation Implications
  3. Uncovering Genetic Diversity of a Salamander Species Restricted to a Critically Threatened Habitat (Eurycea aquatica)
  4. The Southern Appalachian Ethno-habitat: Cryptobranchus alleganiensis and Cherokee Cultural Factors as Healthy Ecosystem Indicators.
  5. Rapid adaptation in an island population of Salamandra salamandra
  6. Recovery of Salamander species in Jiwani Coastal belt District Gwadar Balochistan, Pakistan
  7. Ecology, distribution and conservation of the Himalayan Salamander, Tylototriton verrucosus

Attachments

• Axolotl_habitat.pdf
    435 KB · Views: 1,404
  • Constructed_ponds.pdf
    114.6 KB · Views: 1,190
  • E_aquatica.pdf
    257.8 KB · Views: 1,325
  • Hellbender.pdf
    182.5 KB · Views: 1,112
  • island_Salamandra.pdf
    215.5 KB · Views: 1,011
  • salamanders_Pakistan.pdf
    11.9 KB · Views: 1,111
  • Tverrucosus_corrected.pdf
    232.4 KB · Views: 1,422
Last edited:

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I put in a corrected version of the PDF for 'Tverrucosus'. The conversion from .doc to .pdf had corrupted one line, which is now fixed.

The 'Axolotl_habitat' file also contains a truncation of the Budget section, but it is not complete in any of the files I received.

If anyone notices any other problems with the PDFs, let me know.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
We've only had 9 votes cast so far. I believe that the time frame for voting is rather short, so please read and vote, if you plan to.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
This poll will close in the next 24 hours. FYI.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
After some back and forth discussions, we decided to choose the Eurycea aquatica project (proposal number 3 in the above list) over the Constructed Ponds and Tylototriton verrucosus projects. Thank you to everyone who applied and who voted. We'll be doing this again in the new year.

Last edited:

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
As I have informed the applicants who were not chosen, the winning proposal was chosen because their project was judged to have the most conservation value specific to caudates, with a tangible research goal and the clearest peer-reviewed publishing plan. This is not to say that the other proposals were not valuable research but unfortunately we can only award a single grant each year. We (the folks who run Caudata.org) consult the members of the site for their opinion and then we review the proposals ourselves, often with outside scientific consultation with scientific experts in the field, and then we make an informed decision. Our top 3 were the Tylototriton verrucosus project, the Constructed Ponds project and the Eurycea aquatica project. It was very difficult to choose between the 3 but in the end we decided on the Eurycea aquatica project based on the criteria I have just mentioned. I know we all hate to disappoint the others but at least there will be a 2011 grant and I have invited all of the applicants to apply again.

taherman

Caudata.org Donor
Reaction score
Wow that was quick! I was on vacation and didn't even see this poll start and finish!

Congrats to Beth though, I'm sure she'll use it wisely :)

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
We're waiting on the progress report from Elizabeth. I sent her an email a few months back and got no response.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!