Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Copper or wild?

notanaxoltl

Reaction score
For the longest time I have a copper axoltl, and have now started to think what I previously thought was just a lightly coloured wild may actually be a copper, due to his red eyes I just noticed. Either way, I think he’s gorgeous. What do you think?.(I apologise for the use of flash, he was only exposed to it for a split second).

Attachments

• F57BB735-A400-464E-9885-EF9187AA33A4.jpeg
    F57BB735-A400-464E-9885-EF9187AA33A4.jpeg
    229.3 KB · Views: 229
  • 42D20F45-2069-42A9-B46F-7BFB1A41A807.jpeg
    42D20F45-2069-42A9-B46F-7BFB1A41A807.jpeg
    916.6 KB · Views: 138

NaterPotater

Reaction score
Where'd you get him? If you got him from a breeder, they probably would have charged you more even if he simply carried the gene for copper. He certainly looks iridescent and a nice tan color, but who knows. You said you have a different one that you know IS copper?

Kitan

Reaction score
That is a REALLY tough call. I would expect if he was a copper he would have been sold as such, though his eyes wouldnt be that color if he was a wild type. The really dark gills and what appears to be black spots on the tail end make me think it cant be copper either; coppers dont have melanophores.

SO! Long story short, I expect someone bred a wild type with one that has albinism (Albino, gold, or copper) and this one is what the outcome was. They likely labled it "wild"...but I dont think it is actually ANY of the standards. You should consider breeding and seeing if it can be passed along. You might have actually discovered a new morph :)

And yes, he is beautiful no matter what :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!