Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Best newt names?

hattori

Reaction score
I'm curious as to what people name their newts, some come share your best!

I have Monty - for the Monty Python line "She turned me into a newt! .... I got better...", the eastern eft.

I also have Banquil, Tiny, Bazooka, Ozai, and Falcor, the fire-bellies. Banquil and Tiny came with their names - Tiny is Tiny because he's so fat. Bazooka is Bazooka simply because he's the largest and fastest of all of them. Ozai is for the Avatar: The Last Airbender firelord. Falcor is for Falcor in The Neverending Story, for they always have the same look on their face.

Come and share!

CherryBlossom

Reaction score
I have Kane and Bully... my 2 male paddletails... Kane is called Kane cos he looks like a stick :D Bully was called Noah, (the whole water theme) but he started bullying Kane when they were housed together...hence the name Bully. It just kinda stuck.

I also have Bruce and Harley... my male and female carnifex. They are named after brace wayne and Harley Quinne cos I am a batman geek :)

Yahilles

Reaction score
These are names i use/used:
Chinese firebellies: Uriel, Belinda, Sibylla, Diana
Swordtails: Nitager (previously Liara), Tali
Pachytriton: Tesar (previously Matilda)
HK firebelly: Kroq-Gar and Amphitrit
Reed frogs: Tenoqual, Tenehuini, Loki and Pawarotti

Naming animals is great, it makes them different, gaves them some sort of character. Everybody has "cynops orientalis females" but only i have Sibylla!

Hayden

Reaction score
I had a fire bellied newt named Ketchup.

On a side note, my dog's name is Newt. :D

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I've got a roughskinned newt named Einstein... as in "she's no Einstein". She came pre-named.

a Jefferson's salamander named Weezie (she's movin' on up. That's oldskool there).

My axolotls are Blue (You're my boy, Blue!), Big Momma, and Thad (this is a bit twisted: his back legs are bent, useless, and shortened, like a child whose mother took thalidomide).

3 tiger sals named Mario, Luigi, and Toad

An eastern milksnake named Peach

2 black ratsnakes named Bonnie and Clyde

a python named lumpy

a cat named Al.

None of them come when called.

And as a side note, my parents nicknamed me 'newt' when I was 2 months old. 28 years later, it still sticks. And they wonder why I turned out the way I did.

Last edited:

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
OK, here are all the newt names I have used:
Amelia, Cutie-Pie, Little Yellowy, * Stubby
Dewlap, Neutrino, Orangina, Mermaid, Isordil, Dardis
Big Fatty, Lara Flynn, Leona, Albert, Mars, Madeline, Spot

*Newtling, *PeeWee, *Little Mack(e), *Eensy Weensy
Slimy, *Warty, Soldier
Beauty, The Beast
*Greenie, *Greeno, *Greeneroo

*Alpy ,*Alpo, Alperoo, *Spotty, *Dotty, Blotty
Little Bo Peep, Mary Mary, Peter Peter, *Wee Willie Winkie
Casanova, Helen, Cleopatra
Rosa, Ricki, Mira, Nixie, Naiad, Undine

Hektor, Helen, Cassandra, Ajax
Popeye
Achilles, Patroclus

*Phoebe, Phaedre, Phyllis
Spike, Slash, Pokey, Rip, Slice

Mystrey (Mr. E), Miss Terious, Newt X

and of course, the famous Eddie and Elektra.

* indicates that they've perished.

Hester

Reaction score
"Ballard" - we got him the week the J.G.Ballard died...so that was in memory

"Virginia" - after Virginia Wolf...as she kept trying to kill herself by jumping out of the tank...

"bonnie-prince-billy-pinter"..."billy-pinter" for short...named after a combination of the play-write harold pinter, and the musician bonnie-prince-billy (we couldn't decide which so joined them together

"Dunya" ... a character in Dostoyevskys Crime and Punishment

and we had "Nico"...after the 60s singer...

Molch

Reaction score
to revive this fun thread:

I don't usually name my newts, but a few have earned it:

- Hannibal, one fat and impressive apuanus larva who raised himself in his parents' tank (partially by eating his younger siblings)

- I call my alpine females the fat lady (because she is, well, fat), the crocodile (because she has a huge longish head like a croc) and the pitbull (because she has a funny, "mean" face - this one was named by my neighbor. Occasionally, we call her Sarah Palin).

- Quasimodo, an apuanus morph with a slightly deformed eye

- Had an alpine newt named "schluckauf" (which is German for hiccup) as a kid because he would make those loud squirting noises when breathing at the surface

- as a kid, I had 2 cristatus I named Romeo and Juliet, in hopes they would fall in love and breed. They never did. Then again, Romeo and Juliet didn't ever really get around to it, either...

Last edited:

evut

Reaction score
Japanese fire-bellies: Naoko, Akira, Yoshimitsu, Hiro, Matsuko (turning into a boy I think) and one is called Metabo....because as a tiny morph he wouldn't stop eating, wouldn't even move off the dish. Later this newt stopped eating and nearly died but the name stuck. He's doing great again.

T.marmoratus: Fernando (aka Froggie), Alfonso, Esmeralda (aka Big Green Monster), Estrela (has a green star on her nose) and one so far unnamed.

A. opacum: Sal and Mandy

And our Horsfield tortoises: Tortellini, and 2 later additions Linguini and Risoni :happy:

Last edited:

Slinky

Reaction score
this thread is really old and to revive this fun thread....
i got 3 salamanders
1. big long toed named big Sal
2. big northwestern Smaug
3. colorful long toed named nebula

KumquatSquats

Reaction score
My axolotl's names are in my signature but just in case: King Ghidorah, Ryu, Trogdor, Glow Boi, and Spaz

If I had a newt I would want to name them Fig Newton or Newt Scamander

MnGuy

Reaction score
I'm ashamed to say I haven't named my three alpine newts. I tried but it was hard to get them to stick since they seemed to be less indivualistic or "engaged/personable" as other pets, like my two snakes, who really are just barely clinging to their names.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!