Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Moomin will not eat, and I can't find a logical reason to why. Please help me try to find a reason.

Erzs

Reaction score
Oh no I was hoping Moomin would be on the track to a speedy recovery with her antibiotics! =[ Hopefully once the course is through she'll be able to eat again.

Hope your ferret and cat will be okay soon so you can have a break from the vets and relax!

Ken Worthington

Reaction score
Fingers crossed for a happy outcome ;) :happy:

I'm sure that somehow the 'best wishes' of individuals who make up a forum such as this, can some how have a 'group-mind' and when focused (as in posting on a specific forum, for example) can positively effect the recovery rate of sick animals.

(Enough of my hippy nonsense)

Crysta, I can't wait till Moomin pulls through, and I hope you'll enjoy a 'vet-free' life for a while!

Crysta

Reaction score
I put in some live bloodworm yesterday, and it seems like moomin could have ate some. though i can't be sure, s/he's still alive and fighting despite being very skinny. it's the last dose today, so i'll give it a couple of days before rushing back up to the vets in desperation x)

kuphie

Reaction score
What was the treatment exactly? Amikacin intramuscular injections once a day for 5 days?

I would think things should be better by now. I might suggest calling your vet and letting them know how things are going. Most antibiotics are not a slow release deal were you wait days after treatment for improvements. It should be looking better during the course of antibiotics. If it isn't I would assume the wrong antibiotic was used. Which is easy to do if you don't culture the bacteria to know what you are trying to kill or at least do a gram stain and take a peek under the microscope. Amikacin only kills gram negative bacteria.

Just trying to help brainstorm, I hope your little moomin gets better soon.

Crysta

Reaction score
6 day course, once every other day it's actually diluted in the water 1mg:4ltres.

I know with stomatitis injections are probably better at reaching it, which I did bring up, but we did discuss the options at quite a length, and we felt like this was a good option, i'm also waiting for a poopie, to take back to him so we can rule out parasites for the weight loss..

there is slight improvement, with the atttude, moomin is more active and will take more swipes at food, and I'm quite convinced s/he's managed to eat some of those bloodworm - although that could just be wishfull thinking.

thanks for all the kindness and luck guys.

MereB

Reaction score
there is slight improvement, with the atttude, moomin is more active and will take more swipes at food, and I'm quite convinced s/he's managed to eat some of those bloodworm - although that could just be wishfull thinking.

thanks for all the kindness and luck guys.
Oh Crysta I'm so glad you're seeing some improvement. Come on Moomin you can beat this!

kuphie

Reaction score
A fecal is always a good idea, Hopefully you'll get your poopie soon :happy:

Best wishes, I'm sure your stressed!

Crysta

Reaction score
fully stressed! I'm generally stressed anyway, moomin is actually calming me down, s/he's still alive, still aware of everything going on - following me around the room, i'm going to continue to feed bloodworm, as it's smaller than the earth worms and although the swipes of food are seemingly having a lot more energy in them than before, it's no-where near half as NOM as they used to be.

I've still not seen anything actually been eaten, no poops about. Looks wise, moomin appears more normal than before, I will take a picture tomorrow in the day light, because i'm keeping that room light off - and won't use flash. to show the differance, as s/he looks very different from the previous photos (an improvement i'd say / healthier)

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Eating is a good sign, even if she's not eating as much as she was. And since she's not eating as much, she probably won't poop as much either. Sometimes it takes time to build back up. If she's looking better, that's a good sign too. Keep up the good work!

Crysta

Reaction score
Well hopefully there is some eating going on. but my glass is on the half full side in regards to moomin now, just yesterday it was half empty, I really feel there's improvement.

Crysta

Reaction score
sorry for neglecting the thread, a relative died, and it's all been rather busy and depressing, the funeral was earlier today :/

Moomin is still with us however ^^ and I think is quite possibly eating, I put in some frozen daphnia last night, which I thought may be a long shot, and I now can't seem to find any left! also s/he hasn't got any thinner over the last weekish. I think there's a good chance s/he'll be back to the old snappy eating my tweezers ways, hopefully.

zoezakella

Reaction score
Sorry for your loss Crysta hope your ok xxx

Glad Moomin seems to be picking up what a relief :happy:

Crysta

Reaction score
It's a shame because the tank she's in now has rather 'fresh' water, as it's uncycled and it was changing very two days. her gills have really shrunk, she had lovely fluffy gills,I can't wait for her to get back in the main tank, she'll have a new friend to laze about with aswell.

My new golden albino has gotten big :|

Erzs

Reaction score
I'm sorry about the loss of your relative Crysta. =[

But as I've said I'm really glad about Moomin! I'm looking forward to seeing photos of them together.

Is it true Goldens grow faster than leucistics, wilds, etc. I can't remember where I read that...

zoezakella

Reaction score
Is it true Goldens grow faster than leucistics, wilds, etc. I can't remember where I read that...[/QUOTE]

LOL my golden albino is the smallest of my 3. My other 2 are 8 inches and Finley is still 6 inches bless him but eats the same as the other guys :happy:

Crysta

Reaction score
this golden has grown like mad, but I haven't done enough raising axolotls to really confirm that.

mine grow like crazy because I feed them up to three times a day when they're young. (little and often)

she's still kicking, and I know for sure that she got brine shrimp in her mouth today. So proud of her!

Crysta

Reaction score
So, i've been using a glass jar to keep her food in, to keep track of her eating habits, and make sure she is eating, which she doesn't seem to be at all still.

her body is about half the width of her head :/ - worried muchly again.

Reaction score
Were you able to get her back to the vet? Have you tried some chopped up earthworms? Could the jar be deterring her from eating?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!