Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What Is Your Favorite Genus of North American Plethodontids?

Reaction score
That seems like a pretty specific, and potentially difficult, question to ask, doesn't it? Yet, this is a subject that has been on my mind recently. North America seems to be the Plethodontid center of the world, at least as far as the hobby of keeping caudates is concerned. Very few of us are privileged enough to see in person, let alone keep, a Central/South American or European Plethodontid. So how about it? What is your favorite North American genus?

esn

Reaction score
I really enjoy Eurycea, after part of one of my Biology courses was centered on them. Plus, they come in all sorts of nice colors. My second favorite would be Plethodon. I'm a sucker for pretty colors and patterns.

Neotenic_Jaymes

Reaction score
Hard to say Thomas since my favorites change from time to time. I currently favor the Ensatina genus. Nothing like the evolution of Ensatina and they're a good model "ring species". Other than Ensatina my old favorite is Plethodon. So many diverse salamanders in the Plethodon genus. P. jordani and P. yonahlossee always made me feel like a kid in a candy store.

Check out my Ensatina eschscholtzii klauberi

Attachments

• IMG_1384.jpg
    IMG_1384.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 1,367
  • IMG_1381.jpg
    IMG_1381.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 925

asfouts

Reaction score
Neotenic_Jaymes: those are gorgeous ensatinas

My favorite would probably be the ensatinas. I am a nut for those buggy looking eyes from a facial view :eek:

My Ensatina eschsholtzii oregonensis

Attachments

• Picture 562.jpg
    Picture 562.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 711

Molch

Reaction score
somehow my favorite, of any genus, is always the one I'm looking at at the moment.

Neotenic_Jaymes

Reaction score
That seems like a pretty specific, and potentially difficult, question to ask, doesn't it? Yet, this is a subject that has been on my mind recently. North America seems to be the Plethodontid center of the world, at least as far as the hobby of keeping caudates is concerned. Very few of us are privileged enough to see in person, let alone keep, a Central/South American or European Plethodontid. So how about it? What is your favorite North American genus?

I'm guessing your favorite genus is Eurcyea?

eljorgo

Banned
Reaction score
Very hard to tell, Plethodontids are sure very very nice, rare sight... at leasts here over Europe.

I've got to say my favourite genus are:

Plethodon*
Pseudotriton
Ensatina
Batrachoseps*
Eurycea*
Aneides (mostly aeneus)
Desmognathus*

Being the ones marked with ' * ' the genus I've already kept/keep; species being the following:

Plethodon cinereus 1.1.1
Plethodon cylindraceus 0.0.3
Plethodon nettingi 0.0.1

Sadly B. attenuatus long gone... Such nice critters... Were my very first Plethodontid and not one of the most easy to care for... I wish I had that chance back with the knowledge I grew with other species since then and try it out once again.

Even so, If all goes steady and well, I'll recieve 3 Pseudotriton ruber schenki by the end of the year witch will be a very cool adittion to the collection... I wish they were more!

Got some old pictures right here
Batrachoseps attenuatus
lan19.jpg

Plethodon cylindraceus
_MG_6324.jpg

Plethodon cinereus
_MG_6345.jpg

Cheers!

Logan

Reaction score
Wow that Batrachoseps is awesome. I may have a new favorite lol. There is just so much diversity in this group that its hard to keep a favorite.

Caudae

Reaction score
Wow. Those pics are incredible! Currently searching for the end of my lower jaw, it dropped.

My favorites are Eurycea latitans (they look like they got out of a Las Vegas show with their sparkles!) and Eury. walacei (Georgia Blind Salamander, completely subterranean)

Eurycea is an incredible genus, so much diversity...

Reaction score
I'm guessing your favorite genus is Eurcyea?

Actually, no. At the moment, my favorite Plethodontid genus is Desmognathus. I've only had experience with keeping Desmognathus orestes, but Desmognathus quadramaculatus and Desmognathus folkertsi are at the top of my list of favorites.

I've certainly kept more species of Eurycea than anything else, but they aren't my favorites. The species of Eurycea I have kept include:

Eurycea spelaea
Eurycea longicauda longicauda
Eurycea longicauda melanopleura
Eurycea guttolineata
Eurycea lucifuga

jaster

Reaction score
This is hard! Ultimately, I would have to say Hydromantes. For some reason, a picture of a limestone salamander has stuck in my head since the first herp book I read.

Yahilles

Reaction score
Desmognathus are my all-time plethodontid love! So far i only have D. orestes (this genus is hard to get in Europe), but hopefully in future i will be able to keep some more. I'm a huge fan of D. monticola, D. quadramaculatus and D. fuscus.

My orestes:
IMG_5052.jpg

Aneides

Reaction score
My favorites are:

Plethodon
Ensatina
Aneides (that's me!)
Bolitoglossa
Batrachoseps
Desmognathus

I have kept Ensatina, Batrachoseps, and Aneides, so those are my favorites.

Aneides

josh

Reaction score
My favorite plethodontids that are legal to keep

Ensatina
Aneides

My favorite that are illegal to keep due to protection so hands off!!

Hydromantes
Batrachoceps robustus and campi

My favorite that are illegal due to country of origin

Pseudoeurycea (I'm surprised no one has not mentioned already)
Bolitoglossa

I would have to say the pseudoeurycea and bolitoglossa take the cake for me though. Some of them are bromeliad dwellers and that is just fascinating to me!!!

methodik

Reaction score
As the question was about North American Plethodontids, I am not wondering why Bolitoglossa, Pseudoeurycea, Oedipina, Dendrotriton, Bradytriton etc. were not mentioned.

I have never seen any of those except for pictures, but my favorites have to be Ensatina sp., Batrachoseps (esp. campi, robustus, wrighti) and Aneides flavipunctatus.

If judging on all Plethodontids, I'd really love to have some Bolitoglossa in my hands at some point. Especially Bolitoglossa dofleini, as they are such giant, yet arboreal, sals. Some day I will have to go to central and south america to find them all, like a Pokemon trainer. Such beauty in insularis, mombachoensis, striatula, flavimembris, kaqchikelorum. I just guess they will go extinct or missing before I can go find them :(

Reaction score
Pseudoeurycea (I'm surprised no one has not mentioned already)
Bolitoglossa

As the question was about North American Plethodontids, I am not wondering why Bolitoglossa, Pseudoeurycea, Oedipina, Dendrotriton, Bradytriton etc. were not mentioned.

Yeah, I think the reason nobody mentioned Bolitoglossa and Pseudoeurycea is because they are typically associated with Central and South America, and the question dealt with North American Plethodontids. However, Pseudoeurycea and, to some extent, Bolitoglossa are technically North American because they can be found in Mexico. But when I originally posted this thread, I had Plethodontids of the US and Canada in mind.

Even we do look at Neotropical Bolitoglossine caudates, my favorites are Nyctanolis and Ixalotriton.

Aneides

Reaction score
Actually, Pseudoeurycea belli might occur in AZ.

Aneides

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1