The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) A dedicated topic for those seeking help with Axolotls, showing off your photos, or just to talk about them.

Old 20th September 2019   #1
DigiriblePlum

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: DigiriblePlum is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ammonia Issues?

Hi All

My 40L tank's been cycling for closing in on the two-month mark now and I'm having issues with the ammonia levels that seem weird to me ... then again, I'm a complete novice!

I can't seem to get the ammonia levels down below 0.25ppm. The nitrites are, however, sitting at 0ppm and the nitrates at about 20ppm. When I first saw this I thought it was just a hitch in the cycle and, sure enough, next time I checked the nitrites were back again but today, about 4 days after that test, it's back to 0.25-0-20

Is this just part of the cycle or has something gone wrong here?

DigiriblePlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #2
Hayley
(Hayleyy)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 1
Rep: Hayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Re: Ammonia Issues?

Nitrites at 0 and nitrates at 20 is perfect. Do some small water changes, like 20% twice and week and see if that bring down ammonia. Have you checked the tank for the source of the ammonia?

Hayleyy is offline   Reply With Quote