Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Gill amputation?

Muujoojuujoo

Reaction score
My Axie V has been in isolation in the fridge and given salt bathes everyday for over a week. However the fungal infection seems to be spreading despite my best efforts. Is it best to just cut off the gill and let it grow back? What the best method of this?

Attachments

• 20140405_125011.jpg
    20140405_125011.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 286

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
No.

I would try a regimen of Furan 2 or methylene blue. If you can easily pull or tease off the fungus that might be appropriate. If you cut the gill off a new infection will likely start at the new wound site.

adler0

Reaction score
Hey, I've been having the same problem with the fungus not going away. Check my thread titled "white fungus" it should be high up on the recent posts. Anyways, someone suggested slowly increasing the salt and use chlorinated water. That has actually shown some effect. My axolotl had fungus on two different gills, now one of the fungus areas has fallen off and he only has it on one gill now. What I did was just increase the salt by half a tea spoon every bath. I also used chlorinated water for only the salt bath, I put him back in new DEchlorinated fresh water after each chlorinated salt bath. Also I reduced the time I kept him in the salt bath from 15 to 10 minutes. I WOULD NOT cut off a gill, ever. Bring it to a vet if you're on you're very last resort. I'm sure if you cut it off, the fungus would just grow on the wound. Good Luck!

Also, I should note, mine has been in the fridge for over a month. Sometime these things just take more time.

Muujoojuujoo

Reaction score
I have begun the myetheline blue treatment at 4 drops per liter. How many days should I keep it up? I know they need a low dose, so I'm willing to try anything for my babies.

Velice

Reaction score
So you're medicating before fully understanding how the treatment works!? I don't even know what the concentration your product is but 4 drops/L could be toxic to your axolotl.

The willingness to try anything for your axolotl like amputation and self medicating without understanding either is alarming. In this case, I think you should take your axolotl to an exotics vet. He can probably address reasons why this happened in the first place which is probably a husbandry issue.

oceanblue

Reaction score
Michael knows what he is talking about and I would try methylene blue in these circumstances. If the Methylene blue came with recommendations of dosage for fish start with a dose of half that. Some preparations seem to be at a strength designed for 1 drop per american gallon so 4 drops per litre may be an overdose.

Forums such as this are a good place to get advice on husbandary and vets with axolotl experience are thin on the ground. There is nothing wrong with considering drastic treatments, just accept the advice that surgical amputation in these circumstances is not appropriate!

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
It is hard to overdose with methylene blue. I have used at full fish strength. It does stain some things in the aquarium and impede biological filtration. If you use it a lot you might want to use a quarantine tank. I don't always. Just watch your water quality a little. It should knock the fungus in a couple days. I'd probably use it for about a week on first try.

Muujoojuujoo

Reaction score
It actually seems to be working. V is slowly shedding the gill. He lost most of it. I'm noticing little white worms in the tank with my other baby. These didn't show up until I had a bad batch of minnows.over half died off. I got mad at the pet store and tips them about my circumstance. Little help there. I'm about to fridge them both and do a complete over Gaul of the tank. I think the minnows destroyed the harmony of my tank.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!