Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Clearing persistently cloudy axolotl tank

ValerieH

Reaction score
My bog axo tank has been persistently cloudy for months, defying my efforts to clear it (water and filter changes). It is a milkiness, not green, so I'm thinking bacterial. A plus is that I have copepods living in the tank (free baby axo food). A minus is that I can barely see my axolotls. I am considering using API Accu-Clear, a flocculant, to clear the tank, something I ordinarily wouldn't do. Is this stuff safe for axolotls? What about tje copepods, snails are plants? I also looked into diatom filters, but they are pricey. Any other ideas? Has this happened to me anyone else?

ValerieH

Reaction score
That should read 'big' (75G), not 'bog'. The filter is a Penn-Plax Cascade 1000. I use Holtfreter's and a chiller.

Hayleyy

Reaction score
Can you attach a photo? It does sound like a bacterial bloom but these usually clear with time and water changes. I don't think any of the water clearing additives are any good to use with axolotls from what I've read.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!