Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Baby axolotl with a broken tail

EllieWind

Reaction score
So this may sound a little odd, but I have accidentally broken the tail of one of my 3 week old axolotl babies. I was doing a water change and accidentally dropped one baby onto my dresser (not a big drop, more like barely an inch or two), I went to pick it up and ended up pinching its tail to the point where it was nearly snapped off. The baby didn't seem too distressed about it and there is only a tiny bit of blood, but I can tell that the tail bone is either completely or mostly severed. I added a bit of Indian almond leaf to its container right away to stop any infection, but I'm wondering if I should leave it alone and hope it heals or cut the tail entirely off and just let it grow a new one.

Does anyone have any advice? This baby in question has very nice markings and long gills, so I'd really like it to survive.

Here are some pictures of the little one. The tail is being held pretty straight but you can see where the break is.

Attachments

• IMG_20200111_222737.jpg
    IMG_20200111_222737.jpg
    403.3 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_20200111_222624.jpg
    IMG_20200111_222624.jpg
    460.1 KB · Views: 162

hunterwho

Reaction score
Axies are known for their regenerative abilities, so it's probably doing a decent job "stitching" that tail back on. Also, before 7 months of age, they also have very little true bone in their bodies, so I wouldn't be too worried about it growing back crooked. Make sure you continue to watch the baby closely for any signs of infection, but as long as it doesn't get infected, you should be ok :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!