Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Need help ID-ing Pennsylvania larvae!

Emeru505

Reaction score
In February I was at my cabin in Tioga county and found a larvae in a bucket of water we had brought back to our cabin(frozen pipes). He is about 3 centimeters long and is a yellow-ish/tan color with a black circle on his head and 3 stripes of black spots running the length of his body. He also has small white spots on his sides. Hes quite translucent and you can see his organs when looking from the bottom of the tank. His feathery gills are tan with a hint of red. Hes grown mainly in length and a tiny bit in general size as well as his spots becoming darker and more defined. I had looked through every pa book trying to figure out what he is with no luck. Hopefully someone has seen one like him and can help give some insight as to what he is/care tips? Thank you!

Emeru505

Reaction score
Here are some photos

Attachments

• 20190801_180247.jpg
    20190801_180247.jpg
    229.5 KB · Views: 172
  • 20190731_100106.jpg
    20190731_100106.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 162
  • 20190801_174117.jpg
    20190801_174117.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 162

Emeru505

Reaction score
It's been about a year since I found my little friend and I've decided to call him(?) Lil Nug. Since my last post hes grown in size and is now about 2 and a half inches long and hes gotten a little fatter as well as developed some markings that have made him identifiable. I believe hes a Northern Two-Lined Salamander! His gills, I've noticed lately are shrinking in size and hes been reaching his little snout to the surface of his water occasionally but not climbing above with the rocks that give him easy access out of water. I think it's time to give him a water and land tank?

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you so much for your update :happy:. Could you perhaps add a few photos of sOil Nug so we can admire him please :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!