Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Yumm!

saided

Reaction score
My axolotl LOVES nightcrawlers (she rejects bloodworms now)! I'm not sure what species they are, because they were refrigerated and not labeled other than price. Im guessing they are Canadians. I've been giving her a meal worm about twice a week with the head removed too. The nightcrawlers are getting a few scraps, and Ive been adding a crushed multivitamin to their food too.

I was just wondering if they are going to supply her with all the nutrients she needs, or if I need to add some more diversity to the mix?

Also! Should I cut them in half? :confused: She seems to prefer them whole, as she spits them out when they are cut, but it is a huge battle for her to eat the monsters that are sometimes an inch or two bigger than her... Could I train her to eat them cut?

melfly

Reaction score
Hi have you tried soaking them in some fresh water before feeding, sometimes their slime tastes horrible. (not that i've personally checked lol ) It might taste worse when they are cut. Mel

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If they are canadian nightcrawlers, she should be able to accept them chopped. None of my axies or newts has ever refused cut-up worms of this type. She may need longer to grab them when they are in pieces because the wiggling is not so obvious. Earthworms should provide all the nutrients needed.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1