Question: How long till Axolotls are 6 inchs?

EmmyKink

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I am getting 2 , 3 inch axolotls, I am going to put them each in a 5 gallon tank of their own, but I hear your only spouse to put them together once they are 6 inch's or 15 cm. How long does it take for them to get to 6 inches? 2, 3 months?:p

if you are getting them together I am wondering why you are not aim to have them together from the start. The main thing would be that you would be better to obtain a large size tank.
I have reared 5 axies from small together no problems no biting no loss of limbs or anything. Mine have been in a 3ft tank since they were at least 3". Make sure there is plenty of places for them to hide and have their own space plastic plants broken plant pots.
if the tank is too small the water quality will deteriorate very quickly. More space more water and plenty to hide and I would put them all together provided they are all the same size.
feeding time make sure that you drop worms infront of all of them so that there is no a food struggle either.

Yeah, but they are said to be cannibalistic. You have put young together and they have not hurt each other?

My first axolotl was just under 4 inches when I got him and 3 months old. He's grown an inch in the time I've had him (almost a month). I just picked up another one at 5 inches this weekend and they are housed together in the same tank. I have a 20 gal one, but aim to get a larger one in the next couple of months when I have the funds.

They've only been together a couple of days, but they haven't nipped at each other yet as far as I can tell. They have 2 hides each to themselves and pretty much ignore each other. As ACEPHONECHIC said, as long as they have enough room, hides, and food, they should be fine together.

A large enough tank, with adequate feedings and hiding places will have few to no problems with axies your size. I have three 4" siblings who have always been together and have never had one nip. They are now in a 4 foot tank with two 5" axolotls and haven't had any problems.

Proper environment + proper feeding = settled axies.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back