Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Housing together

JettaMarz

Reaction score
For the past year I have had my two axolotls living in separate tanks. Initially it was because one was much smaller than the other, but now that they are both over a year old and *roughly* the same size I have been thinking I would like to house them together. I'm a bit apprehensive to invest in a new larger tank for the two of them just to find out they won't get along and need to move back to their old tanks, then I'll be out the money and have a new tank I don't need. The tanks they are in now would not be suitable for a pair, and I assume it would be ill-advised to just try dropping one in the others space just to see how they get along... So... I guess what I am wondering is how successfully axolotls usually are living together?

For what it's worth, I am pretty sure they are both female... one is black and probably about a year and a half old, the other is white and closer to a year.

Here's a video of them from a year ago when I first got them ( ^_~)b
Axolotls eating - YouTube

Chlorophilian

Reaction score
Thanks so much for the video! It's great how they rocket up everytime they take a gulp.
As for the tank, would it be possible for you to get ahold (borrow, buy, etc.) of a large plastic bin of some sort? That wouldn't put you out too far, and you could set it up with your filtration system and see how they get along in there for a while.
The only issue in this might be leaching of the plastic, but I'll need someone else more knowledgeable than I to verify the risk of that.
Good luck!

JMcCune

Reaction score
Plastic Tubs/Bins are totally fine for your axys to hang out in as long as needed. Just set it up like you would your tank. It'll be a much cheaper way to see how the react to each other.

hacelepues

Reaction score
Adorable axies, and great song choice :) Love beirut

I agree with the plastic bin idea. I use rubbermaid brand tubs all the time for fridging, water changes, traveling, and raising axies and have never had issues.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1