Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Fungus on Gills

Day

Reaction score
So Im not sure why she has fungus on her gills but I noticed it this morning. She did poop in her tank which is 1 gallon tank last night (keeping her in there until the 10 gallon tank cycles) so I put her in fresh spring water and put an ice pack in there. This morning there was fungus everywhere. I immediately emptied the water and put her in cold spring water for a little until I could put salt in a seperate container. Ive given her 2 salt baths today and it still looks the same.
Her First Salt Bath was at 1:12 - 1:20PM (in photo)
Her second salt bath was at 8:49 PM- 8:59 PM and i took pictures at 9:49 PM after putting her in spring water again so there wasnt fungus sticking to her.
I would give her a tea bath to soothe her coat but I dont even know how. After 2 years of owning 4 axolotls I havent ever gave any of them a tea bath cause there was no need to since they never had skin irritation.

BTW in the first photo its fungus floating around the tank its not her slime coat
Ammonia: 0
Nitrate: 0
Nitrite:0
General Hardness: 0
Carbonate Hardness: 40
pH: 6.0
Temperature: 12C 53F

Attachments

• IMG_3022.jpg
    IMG_3022.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_3023.jpg
    IMG_3023.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_3032.jpg
    IMG_3032.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_3037.jpg
    IMG_3037.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 120
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1