Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: I just became owner of 2 baby axolotls and I'd like some advice.

Imane

Reaction score
Hey!

Just 5 days I bhought 2 axolotl's, they are about 2-3 months old, I don't know what the genders are yet. My tank isn't big enough yet ( but it's good for now) so currently I'm looking for a bigger one. I also have 3 live plants and shells for them. Nothing more than that yet, I'm just not really sure what's good and what's not for them so I'd like some advice. Also I don't really know how much I need to feed them, currently i'm giving them Feed Grains for Axolotl's, I currently give them every day twice 4 pair of feed grains (these are very little so they basically both get 4 each day and I don't want to give them too many or too less)

Any advice is welcome.♥

Katie916

Reaction score
Re: I just became owner of 2 baby axolotl's and I'd like some advice.

I can't give any advice on that food however I got two young axolotls a few months ago. Personally, I feed mine frozen bloodworms and its been working great so far.

With axolotls, you want either a bare bottom for the tank or fine sand. Especially when they're eating, they tend to take big mouth-fulls of whatever substrate is in the tank. With gravel, it can get stuck in their digestive system and, worse case scenario, can kill them. So either no substrate or sand works well. If they do ingest a mouthful of sand, they can (normally) pass it without any problem. Along these lines, rocks make great tank decorations (mine loving climbing all over them), but they have to be large enough that its impossible for them to fit it in their mouth.

Also, you need several places for them to hide. You need at least one hide big enough for their entire body to fit in per axolotl plus one or two so they don't fight over them. Mine seem to like pipes or tubes and terracotta pots.

I don't personally have real plants but from what I've heard they do really enjoy them.

The hardest part is keeping an eye on the temperature and making sure it stays low enough for them. Ideal temp is between 60F and 70F, I've found they're the most active a few degrees above or below 65F. The important part is keeping it below 74F. That's about the temperature where they can get really sick and even die.

Hope this helps :happy:

Eternie

Reaction score
Hello! :)
So for your Axies, you want to give them bloodworms, since you have two watch them while they eat to make sure that they both are eating and getting enough, sometimes they are food territorial and you might have to feed them separately, so like taking your turkey baster and putting the worms infront of one Axie, then do that for the other one as well. The BEST food for an Axie are Earthworms. But ABSOLUTELY DO NOT get them from outside, because if they have come in contact with pesticides they can kill your Axie, you can get them from Amazon or the Store, you want the Nitecrawlers because those are Axies favorite, but they are like children and like switch ups and can be pickey with their food, so switch between Bloodworms and Earthworms.Since they are babies you want to feed them everyday, so they become fat and healthy. Pictures would be great so I can suggest how much. If they are at least 6in. long then feed them a whole cube a day(bloodworms), or as much as they will eat within 30mins. After 30mins remove the food. And probably half an earthworm for each, but if 6in. then a whole earthwworm each. Next Filtration, you want a good low bubble filter, Axies dont like it when their water moves, it can stress them. but before you put in the filter you want to cycle it, Axies CANNOT survive the cycle. What you want to do, is a fishless cycle in another tank since you already have your axies in the tank. What you want to do in a fishless cycle is add in ammonia everyday, so for example fish food, float some in the tank everyday, and do 50% water changes each week, then what you want to do is every week or so go and get your water tested at a pet store (or you can get a water testing kit yourself, but not the papers ones those are unreliable) what you want is 0 ammonia and very low Php and no Nitrites, Nitrates are okay. The cycle takes about 6 weeks to complete,and after the cycle is complete switch that filter to your Axie tank. Since you probably dont have a cycled tank you want to change the water EVERYDAY TO EVERY OTHER DAY, about 25-50%. If you leave your Axies in the tank be careful while you do it, since it is stressful for the moving water, and it is stressful to take them out of their tank everyday to a different tub. You also want a lid on your tank because they are known for jumping out of their tank, Another thing is you MUST keep the temperature between 60 and 65 degrees, or they are most likely going to die. If you can't keep the temperature down get some desk fans to clip on or some aquarium fans until you can get a chiller. Chillers will keep the tank down at your aquariums needed temperature. As for the tank decor, you want fine sand, you can do bare bottom, but as they become adults they will become stressed because they can't grip the bottom of the tank. You want sand because when they eat their mouths are like vacuums and the gravel would just be sucked in and they can't pass gravel, so they would die, but they can pass sand quite easily. Make sure it is aquarium sand or very well washed play sand. Since you have two Axies I would suggest two hides, and some soft or live plants, they LOVE playing in plants. You also, since you have two Axies want a 20 gallon LONG tank, otherwise they will stress.Babies also tend to be carnivorous so watch them to make sure they don t harm each other. If I missed anything please feel free to ask more questions, I'll always be happy to help! :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1