Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl Living Spaces.

Ravensworth

Reaction score
So I tried to make a solid tank set up for my Banana-lotl. Banana-lotl seems to be doing well medically speaking but should I be doing more? Banana is in a 10gal tank for the next month until the 20gal (long) is finished setting up. I like to cycle the water for a long time(3-4) weeks with plants and what not.

I currently have a terracotta pot, 3-4 plants (1x Java Fern and 3x Anubias Nanas) and like some big river rocks (size of a golf balls). I wasn't sure if I needed to add another hide or if one is enough also. The bottom of the tank is a glass bottom I wanted to use the sand method but I had questions on cleaning sand from tanks.Truthfully I haven't used sand before in the bottom of a tank before so any advice on cleaning and maintenance would be appreciated.

Not sure if I needed to add this but my axolotl is still really small...like only 7-8cm. He/she wont be staying in that 10 gallon very long though so don't worry.

Hayleyy

Reaction score
If you have room it doesn't hurt to have more hides. I have a terracotta pot as well as a reptile hide (will add pic of this).

I now use a bare glass bottom (easier to clean) but have used sand before. The first thing is make sure it is aquarium or play sand, and not construction sand. I got play sand from Bunnings (Australian construction, diy supplies, hardware-type store). Always wash sand thoroughly before putting it in the tank (wash through until water is clear).
Use an aquarium siphon to suck up debris, and you can insert the nozzle into the substrate to clean it too. If you clean up food once your axies are done eating it will be easier to keep clean.

The good thing with sand is you can anchor your plants into it. You can also use aquarium soil under the sand to keep planted plants healthy.

The rocks you have can trap debris so just make sure you are siphoning under those rocks :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!