Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Bloodworm stuck in gills

Chicabelle

Reaction score
Hi,
I've just fed my axxie bloodworm but it all fell in the same spot and being a bit of a piggy Posy ate loads in one go. She now seems to have a bloodworm coming out of her gill and I'm wondering if she'll manage to dislodge it herself?

Thanks

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
It should come out on its own. If not, take a turkey baster and try to gently blow it out with a stream of water.

Rubyfox

Reaction score
I cant believe this, just read this post this morning and now my axolotl has one stuck..wow

Chicabelle

Reaction score
I caught my Narna in a small tub and gently pulled the worm out with a small pair of tweezers. Didn't affect her at all glad to say. :D

Rubyfox

Reaction score
Thats good, mine is still a juvenile but looked yesterday and it had gone phew .

No1Mustang

Reaction score
My Axolotl - Axle has just done the exact same thing, although he has regurgatated all of the worms but hasn't got the one out of his gill. it looks like he's choking or trying to cough something else up, i'm going to try the tweezers and if that doesn't work???? anyone have any ideas???:eek::confused:

No1Mustang

Reaction score
Hi,
I used my syringe with a a bit of pipe on it and managed to gently suck it out, he thought it was a worm so when he went for the pipe the worm dislodged and came straight up through the tube, phew, scary seeing him like that, he's happy again now swimming around trying to catch a guppy :D
Thanks for your help guys

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!