Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Ph and hardness

Qcjc

Reaction score
Hello, I rwcently hot an Axolotl but I have notice that where I live the ph is at 8.5 which j know is quite high and the water hardness if extremely solf. Does anyone have any advuce to help with these problems because I heard also that ph regulators are bad for the axies.

Roy

Reaction score
Hi, how you doing.
In myhome place(Guadalajara, México) the pH of the water is around 8.2 and the hardness is medium. I always use bottled water that has a pH of 7.0 but invariably tends to become alkaline. I have a 6 year old female axolotl and I have never seen any problem with these parameters as long as you maintain an adequate temperature and constant water changes to avoid ammonia (wich rises or become dangerous with alkalinity as I understand), so I recommend you not spend your money or effort to combat the pH and better observe any signs of disease..... and of cours, enjoy your axie.

Biev

Reaction score
What you need is a GH/KH supplement. Increasing your water hardness will likely solve your pH issue at the same time. It will help buffer the water and help keep the pH stable.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!