Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Tylototriton verrucosus terrestrial or aquatic is better?

ntny

Reaction score
Hi folks,
i have kept my trio Tylototriton verrucosus in aquatic setup for coming to 1 year. all looks good except i need to change water frequently. they have a mid sized zoomed floating dock as land area. i notice they spend much time on land as in water 50-50%

may i ask if anyone here keeps them terrestrial with a large water dish?
i find terrestrial setups are much more easier to maintain.than aquatic
i also read from link below they are actually terrestrial in nature

https://amphibiaweb.org/cgi/amphib_...on&where-species=verrucosus&account=hernandez

Author: Axel Hernandez
Habitat, ethology and ecology
T. verrucosus is found from 1,350 to 2,000 m a.s.l. near streams and ponds in dense primary and secondary forests and open areas. In China, some populations were found at 950 - 1,800 meters in dense primary and secondary forests and open areas near human habitations (pers. obs.). Adults are terrestrial to semi-fossorial, sheltering under rocks or logs and within leaf litter for most of the year.

whats your thoughts?
thanks

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I keep mine in a 50-50 tank. I wouldn't let the idea that it's too much work keep me from maintaining them in optimal conditions. If I felt I had too much 'salamander work' I would downsize my collection (which indeed, I did). Maybe they are more aquatic in the wild, but remember, they are not in the wild. This is an entirely alien way of life, captivity. Maybe they like the land more since they have a smaller 'lake.' Maybe in captivity they prefer the stimulation a more varied environment provides. Who knows.

ntny

Reaction score
Hi Otterwoman,
Thanks for advice.
I mostly read folks keep them aquatic.
i haven't really seen a terrestrial setup for Tylototriton verrucosus yet.
that's why i am curious if anyone keeps them terrestrially.
cheers!

ntny

Reaction score
Hi Otterwoman,
Thanks for sharing your great story and pictures. they look great.
i roughly get the idea Tylototriton verrucosus are more aquatic than other Tylototriton family.
i will keep them as per my current semi-aquatic setup with a large floating dock
cheers!

xxianxx

Reaction score
Be aware that T.verrucosus comprises of a number of sub species which may have different habits . I keep mine fully aquatic with a haul out log they rarely use. I kept them terrestrial over winter in my shed as i wanted to keep them away from the home improvements that i was having done , they just hid and i thought they weren't too happy. They are fully aquatic now and very active.

FrogEyes

Reaction score
No subspecies are recognized in Tylototriton at this time, but there are many species. It's doubtful there are many true T.verrucosus in captivity. T.shanorum, T.anguliceps, T.podichthys, T.uyenoi, T.ngarsuensis, probably some undescribed species. I suspect most or all of the brownish ones in captivity came from Myanmar, where there are a bunch of named and probably more unnamed species. More occur in Bhutan, Nepal, and India, which do not have legal export. Some of these occur in decidedly tropical climates, mainly on land in forest, while the other extreme is animals spending several months under snow and much of their active season in water. Captive ones are most likely mainly tropical forest dwellers, but aquatic tendencies could vary widely.

xxianxx

Reaction score
No subspecies are recognized in Tylototriton at this time, but there are many species. It's doubtful there are many true T.verrucosus in captivity. T.shanorum, T.anguliceps, T.podichthys, T.uyenoi, T.ngarsuensis, probably some undescribed species. I suspect most or all of the brownish ones in captivity came from Myanmar, where there are a bunch of named and probably more unnamed species. More occur in Bhutan, Nepal, and India, which do not have legal export. Some of these occur in decidedly tropical climates, mainly on land in forest, while the other extreme is animals spending several months under snow and much of their active season in water. Captive ones are most likely mainly tropical forest dwellers, but aquatic tendencies could vary widely.

My error on the subspecies . What are the hybrid/integer wild populations referred to as ? The point of my post was that for many years what was sold as " T.verrucosus" could have been one of several species, displaying different physical characteristics and behaviour .

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!