Noreen

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi my name is Noreen and I am from the Blue Mountains in Australia. I have inherited an albino axolotl from my son who is travelling overseas indefinitely. I have never had an amphibian before nor a fish. Lucy is a rescue axolotl that my son rescued about 5 years ago. He also had no experience with amphibians or fish but she went well with him for 5 years. She was not looked after at all before he took her and the owner wanted her to die. Lucy is about 9 or 10 years old. She has never had a filter in her tank and I had her water tested yesterday and was told that I had to get a filter or she would die. The ammonia levels are 0.25 and everything else is ok. I bought the filter and put it in on lowest flow and she totally went berserk. I tried again to put the filter in at very low speed and she was very stressed again. My son changed her water every two weeks and she seemed to have no problems without a filter. She hasn't eaten since I got her almost two weeks ago and don't know what to do. I have called three vets but and one recommended a fish vet. The fish vet lives too far away and I think the travel again would be too stressful for her. I don't drive out of the mountains and would have to take her on the train which would be about 3 1/2 hours. I am extremely upset and stressed and if anyone could give me some advice I would be so appreciative. I am sorry that my first post is asking for help.

Last edited:
Hi Noreen, I’m new to this site but I’ve had Axolotls for about six or seven years now and have had experiences with stressed Axolotls and filters. If the filter is creating a water flow that directly effects you axi, such as one that is directed towards the floor of the tank, then that could be causing her stress. Or the flow could be to much even at its lowest setting. I’ve found that in my 40 gallon tank, a medium size sponge filter works best. They’re great for creating a cycle in your tank and support beneficial bacteria. They are also very cheap, easy, and with minimal water flow that is directed towards the top of the tank. The filter isn’t designed to keep the tank spotless so weekly or fortnightly water changes are still necessary, but it is much less stressful on you axi! If the axi was stressed before you put the filter in though, there is a chance he was just stressed about the move, I hope this helped, and good luck (sorry if it’s a bit long)

Thanks so much Una for all your information. Yes you are right she was stressed about the move and I think that is why she stopped eating her axolotl pellets. I am learning fast.

The filter that was suggested by the shop was for 180 litres of water even though I told them I had 20 to 25 litres of water. We must have miscommunicated somehow. I measured out the litres today when I did the water change and Lucy has 48 litres in her 50 gallon tank.

It was suggested by another member to change her food which I did and she has now started to eat. I am so relieved.

It was also suggested by a member to increase her water and explained the benefits of having more water in the tank which I did not know.

I am going to put her new filter in tomorrow morning and have taken on board about what you have said about positioning the filter and doing more frequent water changes.

I have a lot to learn about Axolotls and Lucy.

Thanks again for your reply. Very appreciated.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back