Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Best feed for juvenile T. marms

cso

Reaction score
Anybody have any suggestions on what to feed juvenile T marms? They're about 2 inches. At the moment I feed them live blackworms on a wet paper towel. The amount they eat seems to vary each day.

cso

Reaction score
Where do you get your worms and Isopods and how do you feed your newts with them?

otolith

Reaction score
I fed my juvenile T. marms small garden worms and woodlice collected from my garden (no pesticide/herbicide application). I would just dump appropriately sized woodlice in their tank several times a week. I generally use tweezers to feed worms to each animal individually, but they will come out from their hides to feed too if I don't have enough time. The woodlice act as snacks between worm feedings.

Wild collecting is probably a tricky thing in WI in the winter. I would suggest buying trout worms from bait shops once your newts are large enough to eat them. Also mail-order compost worms could be a good option. Blackworms are an ok food but can cause problems over time if a variety of food is not offered. I've had some issues with metabolic bone disease with Lissotriton when I've relied too heavily on blackworms. Supplement with small worms as often as you are able and then transition to earthworms/nightcrawlers as the staple diet when they put on some size.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I culture them both. You can feed them with tweezers or let the newts hunt as long as the prey can't hide too well.

cso

Reaction score
Thanks for everyone's help! I'll try ordering some compost worms since it's really cold now...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!