Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Shrimp for adult newts

Canecorsonewt

Reaction score
I have noticed with my n.v.Louisiana newts is that they are still very interested in trying to hunt the cherry shrimp. But i really think the shrimp are getting wise to the newts. I see the shrimp use ther antennas to feel for movement, they bolt away with almost any movement they feel.Its funny to see my newts and shrimp all eating together when its feeding time though. If the newts would sit and waite for the shrimp they would have a better chance to catch a few.

Rupert

Reaction score
Funny, I feel the same way about L. laoensis.

I have a dedicated 55g tank for RCS, they get fed to my Laotriton weekly, I never have an issue with the shrimp being too quick because my Laotriton will often just be lazy and wait until the shrimp is in range and then go after it.
I also feed them Amano's when other food is unavailable. Similar response although Laotriton are much more likely to chase them when they are first introduced after awhile.
I have tried feeding baby crawfish to them as well which they relished.

I think the answer to this question depends on the species. For Laotriton, I don't think twice about adding in shrimp and other small crustations.

I would never add them into a Neurergus tank though.

Is there a reason for that? Are shrimps bad for Neurergus?

I thought shrimps were the ideal tankmates for caudates, as cleaners and food while being cheap and easy to raise along with matching temperature

keynewt

Reaction score
Well this place has various sized shrimps and it is all through the mail.
Arizona Fairy Shrimp, Clam Shrimp, Triops, Water Flea Information

I have a pet store near me that has lots of saltwater enthusiasts and they always have grass shrimp and adult brine shrimp.
I feed the big ones whole to my axolotls and the smallest ones go in with the newts. I also chop up some for the newts too. My firebellies frequently get those brine shrimp for color.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1