Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How to reduce aggression of Paramesotriton species?

ntny

Reaction score
Hello folks,
may i ask, how to Reduce aggression of Paramesotriton species?
i have kept a trio of Paramesotriton chinensis in the past and they were brutal.:eek:
the dominant one will seek out the others bite and kill them one by one. the tank was 2ftx1.5ftx1ft LxBxH with lots of driftwood and plastic plants but. they didn't help much

i am looking at Paramesotriton hongkongensis this time,
are they more docile than Paramesotriton chinensis? :kill:

thanks

Griffin8891

Reaction score
Is there aggression in general or just during feeding? I had two P. hongkongensis that would bite each other when food was introduced which led to one losing an arm. (he grew it back and was fine in the end thanks to a good exotics vet I knew) I started separating them into small temporary containers for feeding from then on. After eating I let them hang out in there for between 30 minutes to an hour to get out of frenzy mode then reintroduce them back into their full enclosure together. No problems ever since.

ntny

Reaction score
Hi Chris
thanks for advice,
may i know how big is your P. hongkongensis tank?
thanks
Is there aggression in general or just during feeding? I had two P. hongkongensis that would bite each other when food was introduced which led to one losing an arm. (he grew it back and was fine in the end thanks to a good exotics vet I knew) I started separating them into small temporary containers for feeding from then on. After eating I let them hang out in there for between 30 minutes to an hour to get out of frenzy mode then reintroduce them back into their full enclosure together. No problems ever since.

Griffin8891

Reaction score
It was a 20 gallon long.

Attachments

• user11843_pic30653_1380919571.jpg
    user11843_pic30653_1380919571.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 499

ntny

Reaction score
Hi Chris,
Very beautiful tank
May i ask, is it possible to keep 1 pair or 1 male 2 females, Paramesotriton hongkongensis in a 10 gallon tank? sorry i asked this because my fridge can only fit in a 10 gallon tank dimension.
2 footer tanks (15gal) are too long can't fit into my fridge.
thanks

Griffin8891

Reaction score
I only ever had two males. They were kept together in a 10 gallon for about a year before upgrading them to the 20 gallon you see. As long as I separated them for feeding they seemed fine. That being said it's usually better to provide animals with more space if possible. I have never bred them myself, so I can't answer with total confidence regarding the refrigerator.

ntny

Reaction score
hi Chris
thanks for your kind advice
Does anyone knows and have experience on the least aggressive species of Paramesotriton?
i read that Paramesotriton caudopunctatus and hongkongensis maybe less aggressive
the most aggressive are Paramesotriton deloustali and chinensis
thanks and cheers!

Griffin8891

Reaction score
Like I mentioned above mine were P. hongkongensis. They were pretty aggressive at times.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!