Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Ideal Temperatures for Salamandra atra

Stupot1610

Reaction score
I would be interested to know what the ideal/preferable temperatures are for S.a.atra.
Any insight is appreciated.

Thanks.
Stuart

AmbystoMan

Reaction score
S.atra doesn't withstand high temperatures,

it should always be below 20°C

in winter near 0°C for several weeks

Stupot1610

Reaction score
I thought they preferred lower temps. I'll be keeping them outside or in my garage so the temperatures will be nice and cold.

Blackbun

Reaction score
Hello stupot, I think your animals will be just fine in your garage temperature wise. This is one of those questions I enjoy researching when I acquire new salamandra subspecies I'm not familiar with. I'd find out where they occur using a distribution map and then look up some of the towns to find out their climate and extremes of temperature. This would give me confidence in how I maintain the animals here in the UK.

In general, continental Europe has lower temperatures than the UK and whilst I know salamanders do not like high temperatures, it is the lower negative temperatures which have always concerned me most. I keep all of my adult salamandra subspecies out side as much as possible moving them into a frost free garage only when temperatures are negative or into the shade, garage when too warm.

These animals have a winter terrarium with a twelve inch depth of leaf mould covering a series of tunnels which lead to the lowest part of the enclosure where I have created a cavern large enough to accommodate several animals. They head there when temperatures get to about 8C. I will also place a thick old hessian sack over the enclosure too. They emerge on milder evenings to feed throughout the winter and whilst they may remain in their burrows for several days, they don't hibernate.

In addition to the temperature, I also look at the monthly rainfall record for each location and the expected type of habitat eg is it forested etc.

Please take a look at this web site. They have a link to a distribution map. Wikipedia will have monthly temperature and rain fall guides you may consult.

AmphibiaWeb - Salamandra atra

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1