Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Echinotriton andersoni breeding info

T

travis

I've got a pair. They are doing fine and have a large breeder sized tank but I don't know exactly what it takes to trigger their egg production and breeding.
Any info appreciated.
Travis

wouter

Reaction score
I don't think that many people have bred this species before... I personally think that the best thing you could do is to increase temperature and humidity in the summer. This works for most Tylototritons. Any advice from people keeping them in zoos?

E

edward

The Detroit Zoo treats them the same as Tylototriton shanjing and has had success that way.

Ed

TJ

Reaction score
Check out (if you can find it):

Male Courtship Behavior of Tylototriton (Echninotriton andersoni) Boulenger under Laboratory conditions

Taeko Utsunomiya and Masafumi Matsui

Current Herpetology, Issue 21, December 2002

They bred for the authors in conditions in which they were kept at the room temperature and under natural light conditions in Hiroshima, except for the winter season when the air temperature was kept at 15 C.

"Each terrarium used measures 36x22x25 cm, and one-third each of the bottom was covered with shallow water, pebbles and sand. Pieces of slate were laid on the pebbles for shelters , and leaf litter from the natural habitat was placed on the sand."

"In some males, the cloaca swelled and became wet with mucuous secretions from December to May."

The male is not present at oviposition and the female lays fertilized eggs even after isolation from males for several months.

(Message edited by TJ on February 28, 2005)

T

travis

Thanks for that info, very key stuff there TJ.
I think that the temps will naturally be increasing now and I will trying raising humidity and create a water area in their tank which has similar dimensions to the one TJ mentions. Wish me luck. I would love for nothing more than have the E. andersoni produce some of those strange eggs for me. hehe
Travis

F

foster

Travis,
I wish you the best of luck in breeding those E. andersoni (not only for the accomplishment itself but also because I would be very interested in trading for or purchasing some of the offspring
happy.gif
). I briefly became excited today when feeding my T. tailangensis. Two of them became interlocked but I quickly realized that this seemed to be a sparring match over the food as opposed to breeding behavior.

Chip

TJ

Reaction score
I'll bet
biggrin.gif

In fact, I too am raising a pair of E. andersoni, born of parents from Tokunoshima Island, that I acquired a couple years ago as babies before the last legal loophole closed, and I have similar aspirations for eventually breeding them -- though they are siblings and I still haven't ascertained their sexes. They still have a lot of growing to do first!

it just so happens that I'll be in the Amami Islands for a few days from Friday, and will produce some habitat pics which will hopefully be of some help as you design your breeding tank
wink.gif

Which reminds me...I guess I'd better post a pic of my 2 juvies before I leave lest I be accused of poaching
pirate.gif

37175.jpg

(Message edited by TJ on June 02, 2005)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1