Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

State of Agalychnis calcarifer in the wild.

W

william

does anyone know about the state of the splendid leaf frog (Agalychinis calcarifer) all i know is that it is rare, could be of scientific value (the skin toxins) and is rather rare can anyone fill me in on the species? thank you.

J

jenn

I did a simple Google search for Agalychnis calcarifer and came up with the following links...perhaps one may lead you to what you're looking for.

Evidently Mark O'Shea did a TV episode called "Jewel of the Jungle" on Agalychnis calcarifer: http://www.markoshea.tv/series1/series01-09.html

Here, the DAPTF Captive Breeding Working Group makes a short mention of their success in breeding Agalychnis calcarifer - perhaps the e-mail listed at the bottom can help lead you to more info:
http://www.open.ac.uk/daptf/froglog/FROGLOG-45-2.html

And here's an article I found from Natural History Magazine, "Where Have All The Frogs Gone"?
http://www.naturalhistorymag.com/0604/0604_feature.html

I found several other references in "foreign speak", but unfortunately I only know English, so couldn't tell you if they'd be helpful or not!
biggrin.gif

W

william

thanks jenn the reason i asked was because i saw the mark O'shea thing. and i looked on the website too i'll check the others out.

J

jenn

It's a gorgeous frog! The more I looked at it, the prettier they got (as well as the other froggies). Hmmm...I may have to look at designing and creating a dart frog vivarium as my project next summer...I may be getting the froggy urges...
happy.gif

W

william

the last site you showed was very interesting. i remember O'shea mentioning that when he did the programme

W

william

d... my school filter system wont let me on the site!!
angry.gif
violent.gif

(Message edited by ed on October 15, 2004)

E

edward

Hi William,
I edited your language a little as please no expletives.

Ed

W

william

Sorry Ed, seen worse so i thought that would be all right.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1