Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Adult newts eating daphnia pulex.

ODell

Reaction score
I ordered some starter cultures of daphnia pulex a while back and have been adding to a tank I have with both adults and larvae. Of course my objective was to feed the larvae, but it seems my adult notos really go for the fully grown pulex. I am not in the least concerned by this, as i find it amusing and don't see the possibility of this being detrimental, but i was wondering if anybody else has had this experience, with notos or any other species? :cool:

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
"If it moves, they will eat it."

I have seen this in a quite a few of the smaller animals. My axolotls on the other hand, start to ignore them right around the 2 inch length zone.

For real laughs, unleash some Daphnia magna for the adults. They will go crazy for them.

ODell

Reaction score
I new I wasn't the only one who has seen this happen, and got a kick out of it. I think I will try it with magna, when i get some. One of my males seemed to be chasing them (and catching them) all day, and now I can see why this isn't a regular practice (feeding of daphnids to adults), as he ate quite a few and put on almost no visible weight. Do you think magna would be more substantial in this respect?:cool:

PereJosa

Reaction score
Hello

All my adults newts, eat Daphnia (cynops sp., paramesotriton sp., triturus sp.) My big size newt is the Paramesotriton Fuzghonensis, and love Daphnia all Daphnia ( inclusive like the little Daphnia):p. My P.chinensis and fuzghonensis stay hidden many time, the days are Daphnia, it's easy see the newts;).

Bye

TristanH

Reaction score
My adult newts also love larger Daphnia and will happily polish off any spare. However, I tend to keep small foods like this in reserve for the babies - adults are equally happy with something a bit more substantial and I think it's a bit of a shame to waste my valuable Daphnia on something that will polish off an earthworm!

Tristan

fishkeeper

Reaction score
The smaller species(Lissotriton, Notos, etc.) eat large quantities of it in the wild and it suits their hunting style(mainly visual hunters).

Triturus cristatus and similar will go for them but are not as good at it as smaller newts.(depend a lot on smell for hunting).

OZIRIS

Reaction score
My cynops love eating daphnia, and I love watching them hunting. In this video you can see some attacks:

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XvjK9nqSApU&hl=es&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XvjK9nqSApU&hl=es&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Regards

JM29

Reaction score
Hello.

I confirm : I've never seen an aquatic caudate not interested by Daphnia.
And, depending on what the Daphnia actually fed on, they can be a carotenoid source (interesting for partly red caudates).

Friendly.
JM

kenya_1977

Reaction score
I've cultured both Daphnia magna and D. pulex and find that the pulex is far more robust as far as creating a stable culture and a quickly multiplying one, and the size difference between them isn't much. I do know that the CB N. kaiseri I just got love them!

caudatadude28

Reaction score
Very small daphnia. For the first week or two I find bbs(baby brine shrimp) are the best food. Are your larvae 7 days old since hatching or since eating? If they have been eating for a week I think they could daphnia easier.

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
They should have no problem eating smaller daphnia. I like daphnia better because they will live in the water with larvae and won't foul up the water like baby brine shrimp does.

stanleyc

Reaction score
Do daphnia pulex and/or magna have enough nutritional value to be worth feeding to adult C. Orientalis as a supplement. I feed earthworms and tubifex/black worms to them right now.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!