Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Daphnia problems

afertuna

Reaction score
I cant seem to keep them alive I DO NOT use tap water. I use water from my fish aquariums that are not freshly changed I change them every 3 weeks. The amonia levels are low and the ph is within goldfish standards. I have tries Algea water, rice flour and yeast. ANy other ideas?
Thanks

areynoldssr

Reaction score
Crush your waffers up into a powder, put it in some old water. Let it set till you get a smell to it. Depending on the size of your container pour some of that smelly water in there. That should do the trick.:proud:

Gavin Hunter

Reaction score
Are you using a gentle rolling bubble for aeration?
Give a slight stir daily.
I use activated yeast and don't overfeed
8-12hrs of light is enough

xxianxx

Reaction score
To raise daphnia, get a bucket fill it with water , throw some trout pellets in, leave it outside for a couple of weeks, add some daphnia , forget about the bucket and its contents for a few weeks and harvest.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I cant seem to keep them alive I DO NOT use tap water. I use water from my fish aquariums that are not freshly changed I change them every 3 weeks. The amonia levels are low and the ph is within goldfish standards. I have tries Algea water, rice flour and yeast. ANy other ideas?
Thanks
What size is the container?
How much food do you add at once?
Are the ammonia levels "low" or zero? Should be zero.

The method described by xxian is certainly ideal if you can keep them outdoors. Keeping them indoors is a balancing act. It can be done, but it's easy to fall.

xxianxx

Reaction score
The method described by xxian is certainly ideal if you can keep them outdoors. Keeping them indoors is a balancing act. It can be done, but it's easy to fall.

Where in this thread does it say the culture is kept indoors?

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Where in this thread does it say the culture is kept indoors?
Your post clearly stated "outdoors". The original person posting didn't say, but I made the assumption that he/she is trying to raise them indoors. Given that it's March right now, and most of the US is too cold to raise them outdoors in winter, it seems likely they were indoors.

xxianxx

Reaction score
Your post clearly stated "outdoors". The original person posting didn't say, but I made the assumption that he/she is trying to raise them indoors. Given that it's March right now, and most of the US is too cold to raise them outdoors in winter, it seems likely they were indoors.

Lol, i am not familiar with US weather conditions, i kept my daphnia outside all winter in the UK at one point the tub almost completely froze, which made harvesting impractical though the daphnia didnt appear to be too concerned as they could still be seen to be active when the ice melted. I even had to harvest them when there was a small amount of surface ice as their numbers were too large. This technique also works indoors, though my wife has banned me from it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!