Aeration for Brine Shrimp Hatchery

jewett

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Heather Jewett
I am in the process of building/setting up a BBS hatchery and know I need aeration, but do I use an air stone on the end of the airline, or just leave it wide open? Does it depend on the strength of the pump? And how strong a flow do I want coming from the air line - like do I want a "rapid boil" or just a "low simmer"?
Thank you!
Heather

It depends on what you are using as a hatching container.. for example an inverted two liter soda bottle, it doesn't matter whether you use an air stone or not but you want the water circulation sufficient to keep the eggs from settling below the end of the hose or air stone. This may require you to fiddle with the out put volume a little.
Some types of brine shrimp eggs float and with those you don't need to really turn the water volume over...

Ed

Thanks Ed, I am in fact using inverted 2 liter soda bottles. I have yet to receive the BBS eggs in the mail but I think I will fiddle around with the output before they arrive.
As a side, I think its kinda funny - I live about 40 minutes from the Great Salt Lake, and just ordered a GSL Artemia strain, from a company in California... What a world...
Heather

Airstones tend to build up with minerals quickly, so I would avoid them. I use a piece of open-ended rigid airline tubing and even that can build up with mineral deposits that requires occasional cleaning.

I've actually found that you don't even need to aerate them at all. If that helps. I just put them in with the salt water solution and they just hatch ;)
I hope that helps

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back