Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Need Help Please!

KellyBelly

Reaction score
Hello! So, I have three fire bellied toads. I recently did a makeover on their tank and they apparently really like it. Tonight, I realized there are a bunch of eggs and a bunch of tadpoles in there! I do not know how to care for the tadpoles. I feel like i should move them but I do not know what type of set up would be best to raise them. The containers I have available to use are a 20 gallon long, ten gallon, and a small kritter keeper.( I also have a spare turtle dock to use for land if need be) I do not want the adults to eat them and I do not think the tank they are currently in will be good for raising them. It is a ten gallon with a divider. Land and moss and branches on one side, water and a ramp on the other. The water is about 5 to six inches deep and the ramp is fairly steep. I need to know: How to set up an enclosure to raise them, how to move them, what and when to feed them, how to keep their water clean, and any other information I should know in order to keep them alive. Thank you so much, Im having a really hard time finding specific helpful information and I really want to help them survive!

KellyBelly

Reaction score
Also, do they need a bubbler? Plants? If so what type? And what all do they need to eat? Thanks, I could really use the help

Lertsch

Reaction score
I think it would probably be best to use the biggest tank you have available, and add some of the aged water from the current tank. No experience with toad tadpoles, but bullfrog & green frog tadpole I've had eat just about any type of fish or aquatic amphibian/reptile food. There are also sinking pellets specifically for tadpoles. As for plants, anything that doesn't need to root like hornwort or elodea should work.

godzillakid15

Reaction score
I think it would probably be best to use the biggest tank you have available, and add some of the aged water from the current tank. No experience with toad tadpoles, but bullfrog & green frog tadpole I've had eat just about any type of fish or aquatic amphibian/reptile food. There are also sinking pellets specifically for tadpoles. As for plants, anything that doesn't need to root like hornwort or elodea should work.
They arnt realy toads so I THINK they can be treated like Bullfrog Tadpoles someone correct me if I'm wrong but I would go with the biggest tank with a few under water hides mabe some floating plants.

KellyBelly

Reaction score
Can you let me know if this looks like a decent set up? It's a tilted twenty gallon with2-4 in of water, a sponge filter, a hollow log, live plants ( anacharis and water lettuce maybe?) and a turtle dock. They have algae wafers for food.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 429
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!