Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Leg Injury Help

Loz

Reaction score
My Axolotl is doing well but doesn't seem to be eating I'm trying him with the worms and bloodworms but he doesn't seem interested. I'd hate to be curing him only for him to die through starvation. How can I help his appitite?

Donna001

Reaction score
Great to hear that he is doing well. It might just be a matter of time with the food. Has he lost weight? Does he look skinny? If not then I'm sure it will be fine and he'll eat when he is hungry. As well as worms and blood worms you could also try offering small pieces of prawn, my lot love some prawn occasionally. They also eat mussel. A little bit of variety is a good thing.
When was the last time he ate?

Loz

Reaction score
I think it's about 3 days Donna. It looks like the fungus may have gone but they're is still no skin growing around the bone. He really seems to be brighter but has not lost weight yet

AxolotlChris

Reaction score
Keeping your Axolotl in a separate container is the best method for now. The damaged leg will eventually breakdown and pretty much drop off where the tissue dies. The key is to keep your Axolotl in cool clean fresh dechlorinated water. This will give your Axolotl the best chance of healing.

Make sure you change the water in his new container everyday with dechlorinated (treated) water. If there is still fungus present, Julia's suggestion of using untreated tap water to fight against the fungus instead of salt baths is a good idea since the chlorine will help prevent the fungus, so put your axolotl in untreated water for the same time lengths as you were with salt baths. Also almond leaf baths are beneficial. Read this thread on fungus: http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-beginner-newt-salamander-axolotl-help-topics/f48-axolotls-ambystoma-mexicanum/f57-axolotl-general-discussion/96018-fungus.html

Can you take some clear pictures from various angles of the leg and your Axolotl?

I would try feeding earthworms again, I use a type called 'dendrobaena' I order from Buy Live Fishing Bait from Bucket of Worms. Skudo's suggestion on blanching the worms is a good idea, I use it my self.

Donna001

Reaction score
Three days isn't too long for your axolotl not to have eaten. I also blanche the worms I get from the reptile centre before offering them to the axolotls. It makes things a bit easier, especially if you have to cut the worms into smaller pieces.
As Chris said, the key is keeping your axolotl in the best water conditions until things are better.
:happy:

Loz

Reaction score
Thanks Chris & Donna I already blanch the earthworms and the others eat them really well. I will stop the salt baths and use untreated water. I hope the leg does drop off as I feel he'd struggle with this one. I don't use a net when giving him salt baths as he doesn't panic if I put my hand in the water allowing him to settle on it for transportation so I've took them when doing that.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 1,564

Donna001

Reaction score
Wow, those are amazing pictures.
I've not dealt with this before, so I'll leave it to the more experienced keepers like Chris to give further advice.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a full recovery. :happy:

Sweetie

Reaction score
You say your nitrates level is zero but it should be about 20 (no more than 40). It's the ammonia and nitrites you want to be at zero. If your nitrates are zero then your tank may not be properly cycled. Also, I second the advice on using untreated water rather than salt baths. It is effective against fungus and less damaging to the axie's skin. The almond leaves can be added to the tank not just used for baths, and they are soothing for the axie's skin. Good luck.

Loz

Reaction score
Sorry it is my Nitrite that is zero and here are the photos. The fungus seems to have gone but I'm continuing with untreated water

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 172

Loz

Reaction score
I cannot seem to load the three at a time even though it lets me here's another

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 154

AxolotlChris

Reaction score
As long as you keep the water quality and temperature perfect the arm will regenerate. Since the fungus is gone I don't think the baths in untreated water are particularly needed, perhaps just once a week

Loz

Reaction score
Thanks Chris, today the skin around the foot is coming off I can see it quick clearly in the tank. I will stop the treatment now and just keep him in treated water daily changed

AxolotlChris

Reaction score
That should be fine, the tissue will continue to die off and then eventually the leg will regenerate. If you notice any signs of fungus start the untreated water baths again.

Loz

Reaction score
Yes I will do thank you all very much for the great advice you've given me, I just wish we could still donate as this website is amazing for anybody who wish to give these little guys a home. I will put on updates to how he's doing

Loz

Reaction score
Just an update about my little guy. His leg has finally come off from the very top, he has a tiny bit of bone left and hopefully it will now regrow. He is still on his own having daily water changes and now only having Indian almond leaves and there has never been any sign of fungus or infection. :happy:

Loz

Reaction score
One finally update.... My little one died tonight even though he had got over losing the leg and had no fungus. I just could not get him to eat, I tried bloodworm when he would not eat the worms but could not tempt him. I believe he starved to death. Everyday I put small bits of earthworm right next to him. I even bought him his own tank to live in so he did not get picked on by the others. Very sad and I hope I did my best for him. Thanks for all the advice

Donna001

Reaction score
Oh Loz, I'm so sorry to hear that your little one passed away. :(
You did your best for him, keeping him in excellent conditions and following the advice of the experienced keepers on this forum, keeping him fungus free and giving him every opportunity to recover.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1