Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

High Nitrite Levels in My Axolotl Egg Tank

BiBoMo

Reaction score
I currently have about 4 dozen eggs that are at about day 9 in development, everything is going great so far but for some reason my tank has continuously high nitrite levels? The Ph will continuously drop down to about 6 but I’ve been using balancer to keep it at a seven. It’s a ten gallon tank with no filter currently so as not to disturb the eggs. I’ve been doing 25% water changes twice a day to help with the nitrite but if anything it’s gone up! I’m honestly at a loss at this point. I’ve been dechlorinating and treating all the new water I put in, but nitrite levels will not go down and I’m worried that once they hatch it will hurt the babies. Any and all help would be amazing. Thanks so much!

Cryowuff

Reaction score
In any tank without a filter, especially for babies, 100% water changes will need to be done at least once a day. It is for this reason and the general safety of the babies that it is highly recommended to keep them in in small groups within plastic tubs rather than in tanks. Water chemistry is just not easy to control in a tank without a filter, and keeping them all in a tank without a filter is very dangerous, especially with this problem. I very highly suggest moving them to Rubbermaid tubs to keep them safe. I would also stop using the pH balancer, as chemicals like that are not even close to safe to put in with any axolotls, much less babies. Sometimes chemicals like that can cause spikes in ammonia and nitrite, so maybe that's responsible. Regardless, I would separate them into Rubbermaid tubs as soon as possible. It will need to be done anyways, as that many larvae cannot safely live in that close of a space.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1