Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Plethodon cinereus, eastern red back

kcoscia

Reaction score
Is this an eastern redback? Found it in my girlfriend's basement in water. Figured after research I could do it one better.

tumblr_p5du53KhiL1rp56hlo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_p5i3g8xwzh1rp56hlo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_p5i3g8xwzh1rp56hlo2_1280.jpg

Little guy went right into the moss!
Humidity is in the 90s, temp in the 60s.

Ideal humidity?
Will be feeding live blackworms or earthworms as we already stock them for axolotls and pea puffers.

kcoscia

Reaction score
pictures in attachment form

Attachments

• tumblr_p5du53KhiL1rp56hlo1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_p5du53KhiL1rp56hlo1_1280.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 144
  • tumblr_p5i3g8xwzh1rp56hlo1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_p5i3g8xwzh1rp56hlo1_1280.jpg
    270.9 KB · Views: 118
  • tumblr_p5i3g8xwzh1rp56hlo2_1280.jpg
    tumblr_p5i3g8xwzh1rp56hlo2_1280.jpg
    532.6 KB · Views: 120

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It looks like that from the picture. Does it wiggle really really fast when you try to pick it up? THen it is for sure.

bhill368

Reaction score
I would say that it is from what I can see. Not too sure on the other questions asked. I haven't kept one before. I would assume you would keep them similar to how one would for other lungless salamanders.

Herpin Man

Reaction score
Yes, that is a red back.
They climb, so be sure to have a secure, tight lid on the enclosure.
They require tiny, live prey. Earthworms must be cut up very small. Blackworms and fruit flies will work too.

josh1990

Reaction score
Katie, It is indeed a Eastern red-backed salamander, Plethodon cinereus. They are fairly easy to care for as long as temperatures are kept low and humidity high. I wouldn't let the temps get above 72-73 degrees. How big is the enclosure you have it in now? From what I can tell from the picture it is a Exo- Terra faunarium or similar critter keeper type tank. They are really good for keeping smaller species such as Plethodon. One of the most important things is to feed it very tiny invertebrates such as springtails, fruit flies, pin head crickets, black soldier fly larva, wax worms and buffalo worms. The flies, crickets and buffalo worms should be dusted with a high quality vitamin and calcium mix such as Repashy SuperVite and Calcium Plus. You can get the insects and vitamins from Josh's Frogs.com. (No affiliation just a happy customer!) There is also an excellent care sheet on Caudata Culture that should answer most questions that may pop up. Of course you can come back here and ask the good people on this forum! Good luck with your red-backed salamander! I've kept quite a few and love them. Josh

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1