Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Need help to ID Salamandra

ntny

Reaction score
Hi Folks
Need some advice to ID these Salamandra.
Thanks!:D
1622c1c37cdcadb42b01d95e.jpg

1622c1cf914935ae47841a40.jpg

1622c1d592a0d6b75dfe6e99.jpg

1622c1daf6e5d6bdb93fcaa8.jpg

ntny

Reaction score

ntny

Reaction score
Hi Julia,
Thanks for helping to ID them. :D
No i don't owned them, they are seen at local pet store.
Do you mean they are the common Salamandra.S.S? they are not S. S. Terrestris right?
Can these Salamandra.S.S tolerate higher temps at 22C?
i was hoping they are Salamandra infraimmaculata or Salamandra algira, but too bad.... :(
Thanks and have a nice day :D

I think they are Salamandra salamandra . They are a lovely looking group, have they bred for you?

https://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/Salamandra_guide.shtml

ntny

Reaction score

bhill368

Reaction score
I would argue that it is Salamandra terrestris. Looks more like that than common Salamandra salamandra.

ntny

Reaction score
anyone else can advice the subspecies in the pictures?
thanks

Blackbun

Reaction score
I think this is a very difficult question. What other information do you have? Are they all siblings? Is there yellow on their bellies? Are you aware of a locality?
While you can narrow the subspecies down eg not S. s. alfredschmidti etc I think further identification will be almost impossible. Whilst the individual in photo 1 looks like S. s. s. those in the other photos look S. s. t. But then you could even start considering beschkovi, werneri and then again can you be certain they are pure breeding?
Despite all this, they look healthy and attractive and if you are interested in having them, you need to decide why do you want them. If you want to have a collection of named ssp then my advice would be to leave them.

ntny

Reaction score
hi folks
thanks for advice. unfortunately i have little information on them.
i thought SST has long yellow stripes rather than dots on the back, but then again those in picture 2 3 4 looks like some kind of small stripes rather than dots...lolz
may i know if SST needs cooler temp than SSS? because SST seems to come from further north europe while SSS seems a little south of europe.
thanks again

Blackbun

Reaction score
There is so much variation in the yellow distribution in both S. s. s. and terestris that you can’t rely on it. There are spotty terestris and stripy salamandra.
Rather than ask re north and south, you should be considering west and east with S. s. s. further east with a range that can be slightly further south than terestris. This is why location is everything. Some terrestris locales are further north than salamandra’s and in others, terestris can be found further south than salamandra.

ntny

Reaction score
hi blackburn
thanks for sharing. very good information:D
thank you
There is so much variation in the yellow distribution in both S. s. s. and terestris that you can’t rely on it. There are spotty terestris and stripy salamandra.
Rather than ask re north and south, you should be considering west and east with S. s. s. further east with a range that can be slightly further south than terestris. This is why location is everything. Some terrestris locales are further north than salamandra’s and in others, terestris can be found further south than salamandra.

ntny

Reaction score
hi folks
i think it is quite hard for me to maintain 20C degrees. i will pass them.
thanks for kind advice.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!