Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New member from Oz.

Julmat

Reaction score
Hi, new member from oz.

I am concerned about my sons axolotl. Over the last couple of months it has become quite fat around the middle. It doesn't seem bloated as in it isn't floating, but its appetite is probably reduced.

Not sure whether to fridge it or not. Its stomach is definitely wider than its head.

It is about 6years old and had been in the same tank and environment for about 4 years.

Attachments

• 15245686939012813588076773660023.jpg
    15245686939012813588076773660023.jpg
    394.2 KB · Views: 107

AuSu

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! I hope you get help soon and if you already haven't, you could set your question under axolotl thread so it'll have the best options to be noticed.

Hayleyy

Reaction score
Oh wow!! I also recommend you post this in the axolotl subtopic, as more people will see it and be able to help. When you do it's always good to provide water temperature and water parameters (ammonia, nitrate and nitrite) so we know the water conditions.
Please remove the gravel asap, it can cause impaction. It could be contributing to the issue. It is fine to leave the tank barebottom (or a sand substrate).
Are there any other tank mates? At first glance I thought it was a female full of eggs, but if it's been happening for months I don't know if they have their eggs inside for that long.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1