Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Farming worms

tinasvfx

Reaction score
So I started farming a small ammount of earthworms since I've been having trouble getting them from petsmart the last few weeks.

I was wondering, is there any particular compost to avoid that might change the taste of the worms to an axolotl? She absolutely wasn't interested in the red wigglers and i ended up having to donate them to a friend that works at a bird rescue.

iguanagrrl13

Reaction score
Not sure about the compost itself... but axolotls can be selective on types of worms they will eat. Were the worms from PetSmart red wigglers or nightcrawlers? If your axie was used to red wigglers before but won't eat the ones from your worm farm, it could be something with the compost. But it is more likely that the ones at PetSmart were something different. There are several closely related species and I doubt the store would be able to tell you exactly which species they had. If they were sold as bait worms, though, they were likely nightcrawlers.

Red wigglers do well in worm bins, but nightcrawlers are more challenging. Check out this gardening website to learn the difference between nightcrawlers and red wigglers: http://www.pintsizefarm.com/red-wigglers-vs-earthworms-in-composting/

Check out this thread about axies eating red wigglers:
https://www.caudata.org/forum/showthread.php?t=107311

tinasvfx

Reaction score
Not sure about the compost itself... but axolotls can be selective on types of worms they will eat. Were the worms from PetSmart red wigglers or nightcrawlers? If your axie was used to red wigglers before but won't eat the ones from your worm farm, it could be something with the compost. But it is more likely that the ones at PetSmart were something different. There are several closely related species and I doubt the store would be able to tell you exactly which species they had. If they were sold as bait worms, though, they were likely nightcrawlers.

Red wigglers do well in worm bins, but nightcrawlers are more challenging. Check out this gardening website to learn the difference between nightcrawlers and red wigglers: http://www.pintsizefarm.com/red-wigglers-vs-earthworms-in-composting/

Check out this thread about axies eating red wigglers:
https://www.caudata.org/forum/showthread.php?t=107311

They were red wigglers because at the time they didnt have any nightcrawlers.. I was able to give those worms away though, so at least someone got use out of them. ;) She seems to like the earthworms, sinking pellets and dried krill.

On another note, noticed the worm farm is starting to show progress. something has started to sprout in it, lol, and spotted a few eggs. ^^

iguanagrrl13

Reaction score
All good news! Glad you are getting it sorted out!

How do you have the worm farm set up for earthworms? I’ve never tried farming them bc I’ve read they can be more challenging and breed very slowly... and I have a huge demand from hungry axolotl mouths! :)

Biev

Reaction score
Earthworms eat soil, whereas red wigglers eat the bacterial slop off of rotting food and decomposing fiber. They will taste totally different, regardless of the compost.

tinasvfx

Reaction score
I'm using an old planter box. It already had drainage holes so i didn't have to make anything or buy anything. Large rocks for extra drainage, and just a mix of paper, soil, and compost. I heard they can take a while too, but honestly, I'm not in a huge rush. I figure it's a good backup plan to have though. She didnt like the wigglers, so farming them probably wouldn't have helped me out much. lol.

iguanagrrl13

Reaction score
Gotcha! Well that sounds like a decent set-up. I have red wigglers for my gardens, but I might have to try to set up a worm farm for the nightcrawlers as an experiment.We shall see! Thanks for sharing.

tinasvfx

Reaction score
Yeah, I'd farm the wigglers, but she didn't seem to like them. I have a limited space on my balcony for farming, so the planter box was a perfect size.:D

now its just a matter of waiting to see if they mature.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1